The Tales of Reckless Pallad

My name is Pallad though everyone calls me Reckless Pallad due to my consistent nature to always get into trouble. It's not always my fault though. I do really try my best at times to stay clear of danger but there's always a branch or stone in my way testing my luck.

Bad luck and hardship challenge me everyday. I don't know how Bennett does it and he's off way worse than I am. Just the other day I heard he got trapped in some ruins for three days. Three Whole Days! I would've simply died of hunger.

But still, at least Bennett has that vision of his. What am I supposed to do as a normal adventurer? There's no way that I could possibly defend myself from slimes or hillichurls. Which is why I usually dedicate myself to smaller commissions like delivering foods, gathering supplies, or finding lost cats.

Usually everything goes fine for a couple of weeks before I'm hit nasty by bad luck. These past two weeks have been even worse than lately. Not only has the Adventurer's Guild not put up any easier commissions but there are more monsters out after that whole mess with Dvalin. At this point I'm ready to steal some cats and hide them somewhere.

No, I would never do that unless it was truly necessary. Still, I have been resorted to collecting wild fruits in the area and selling them at the market or to anyone who would take them. Whatever I don't sell will become tomorrows lunch. I've also taken some other harder commissions in teams.

Though the pay is often the same since we split it between us. Just when I finally got a commission to scout out the area around Windrise for some lost bracelet or whatnot, I got attacked by a group of hillichurls. I promise you that they came out from nowhere!

I folded into fetal position and yelled out for help only to look up and finding myself getting robbed. At some point while running away I must've dropped my things because a hooded figure ran out from the trees to take my stuff! I should be grateful that the hillichurls had a new target but all my money was in that bag!

I ran after them for a while before collapsing on the ground from exhaustion. A couple feet away from me the sparkling of my coin bag mocked me, calling me weak for relying on the kindness of a thief to spare my money.

When I reported the thief the Knights told me that they would try their best to find him though they were spread pretty thin at the moment. It's not like I didn't understand with what happened at the Cathedral. Not that I was there, people just talk. I didn't have enough money to put up a commission for someone to track them either.

Just when I earned enough money to replace all my supplies, I was sent out on another scouting mission. I was hiding behind a bush when I was attacked by a group of hydro slimes. Once again, I found myself running away and screaming for help. This time I made sure to keep my things on me at least.

This time I had hope though. A shining knight covered in a brown cape rushed out from the heavens to save me. I was about to cry to the Anemo Archon for sending me an angel when I felt them pull at my bag. I froze, not knowing what was happening. When I snapped out of it, my stuff was taken again and another wave of slimes were running after me again.

Just like last time, I found my coin pouch tossed carelessly not far away. I slammed my head against the counter of The Angel's Share. Diluc gave me a judging look as I downed another pint of beer. Usually I would go for another two but I couldn't even afford that much. Should I go beg Cyrus for some work? There's no sense in trying to keep my pride now.

Royce patted me on the back, "Come on, cheer up. You just had a bad week, my friend. Here let me treat you to another round."

I smiled at Royce, "Thanks. At least I can say one good thing has happened to me then. It's been a while since we've drank together. How about you? Hopefully the Archon has blessed you with sweeter winds."

Royce was a buddy of mine from a while back. He had light brown hair with a handsome square face and fair build. Nothing like the weasel looks my father passed down to me. Its a miracle that he got my mother to even look in his direction. I heard he's been off Bennett's team for a while now. A good decision on his part I would say.

"Nothing exciting. They just have us going around killing some of the weaker monsters since the Knights are working on that whole 'Outlander' problem. I've heard rumors though about ho-"

Just then I felt a familiar presence behind us. Calvary Captain smiled at us, an empty glass in his hand.

"Another round, if you will Diluc." Master Diluc took the glass reluctantly before preparing another 'Death Before Noon'. The Captain placed a couple coins on the counter before turning to us, "Well hello there gentlemen. I do hope you don't mind me butting in but I couldn't help but over hear the topic of your conversation on my way here."

Royce swirled around his seat to look at him fully, "There's no mind at all Captain! If anything I actually have something things I wanted to ask you. I've noticed that the guards seem really nervous nowadays."

The handsome young man smiled at us, "Well, no need to act like strangers then. I do hope you don't mind if we take this conversation to a more...private table."

I grabbed my refilled pint, "Lead the way, Captain."

"Lovely. Follow me gentlemen."