Chapter 42: Prt. 1

- Lumine -

Our preparation time almost seemed like it was cut short. We were given almost nine hours of both mental and physical preparation but it seemed like one. Neither Paimon and I could really rest so we spent most of the time stocking up for this trip. We bundled ourselves tightly in many layers of thin coats followed by an official Knights of Favonius one that we shared with the rest of our team except for Master Diluc.

He seemed quite determined to have people know he was only working with the Knights not for them. Like people really cared about that matter. For those who understand the gravity of what we were about to go do, they lined up at the front of the mansion way before dinner started to grant us luck. Many of them said they'd be praying for Barbatos to grant us a safe journey along the wind.

Both Irma and Ariana tensed up at these humble prayers. I wanted to ask them about it but I realized that right now might not be the best time to be asking such questions. We were about to head somewhere extremely dangerous and having our minds focused was necessary. So I brushed off their weird looks.

Once everyone had arrived from their "rest" we met back in the library of Ariana's home. She had explained to us a while after we first arrived that all we had to do to leave this realm was to think of when we first entered. It was an easy enough notion that we all caught onto pretty fast. Though I do have to admit the feeling was strange.

Your whole body was morphed, swirled, shrunk, then enlarged, then twisted until you stood upright at the mouth of a hidden door. The first couple of times, your head feels a bit groggy.

Acting Grand Master stepped forward to talk with the Knights who had been set on outer patrol. According to them there has been no movement in the area and many of the elemental traps that Ariana had set down in the area were still intact. So that meant we were all clear. By no means did that mean we could be clearless though.

We all silently pushed along the dropping sun, running along the walls of hills and tall trees. The path Master Jean had set was seeming to be as efficient as she promised. Right now, we were making our way westwards towards the waypoint. By following the edges of the cut land, we avoided many monsters in the area.

The waypoint hummed lightly at our approach. From there, we split off to our reserved pairs. Keaya and Irma went first, holding firmly to each other's wrist. Irma looked a bit flushed with the contact but said nothing. After them went Master Jean and Diluc. Then, it was finally our turn.

Paimon gently grabbed onto my shoulders as Ariana took my hand, "Oh...Paimon isn't sure about this."

Ariana smiled at us, "Don't worry. I promise I won't let anything happen to you two."

She took a step forward but I stood firm in place. With my free hand, I gripped tightly onto the hilt of my sword. Was it wrong for me to feel nervous at this very moment? I knew that I was going towards the Waypoint no matter what I thought but everyone else went through so easily. It made me feel guilty for my fear.

Ariana walked over to me and gently ran a finger through my hair. Had I been a bit more of a saner mind I would've been confused by her touch but I found myself leaning into it. Her hands felt comforting and the look she had on her face held understanding. She had probably gone through something like this before in the past, hasn't she?

"It's alright to feel nervous, Lumine. That doesn't make you weak. If anything, you should consider yourself strong enough to take a step forward even though it would be so easy to run away."

What? How would it be easy to run away? What about all the people counting on us? Wouldn't that be selfish? I was about to tell her something but I saw the smile on her face. I couldn't help but smile back. She's a sneaky one. That's what she wanted me to realize, wasn't it?