Chapter 31

Ariana's plan was messy and dangerous. When she told me that we were going to fight Dvalin my first instinct was to believe she already had something planned. Since she arrived in Mondstadt she's always been working in the shadows. Take Venti for example. He's been hidden before the attack even happened.

I didn't want to be that person but I didn't trust her. Many of the Knights have been speaking of her power during the Battle of Mondstadt. From the whisperings that seemed to be the official title for this massacre. She struck down on the ground with her mighty spear and protected those whose blades had fallen.

When a person kills a monster it's easy to remember them only from that. But we must remember everything. It doesn't matter if we're in a different world, people are people. Don't separate us from them. She meant for it to console me and it did for a while. While I sat away from everyone in the meeting I couldn't help but let my mind wander for a bit.

I did as she said and looked at all of these people, not as characters but for what they really were. For some reason the room turned dark as my eyes jumped from person to person. Finally, when I saw Ariana I pictured her on Earth. She must've looked different then, right? I know my appearance changed when I reincarnated into this world.

Don't separate us from them.

"Us" and "Them"...in my old life there wasn't a single person that I would trust. Not my family, not my boss, or colleagues. Every time someone approached me I doubted their intentions. My parents blamed my brother's death for my cold demeanor but they should've been blaming everyone else. Kids don't hold anything back unless they've been taught too.

If I looked at Ariana as a whole the picture wasn't very pretty. She killed her friend and left it at that. Have I seen her feel any remorse for that? It's like she's completely forgotten about it. She's never where she needs to be. You can never tell her whereabouts and at times it's like she's disappeared. Right now she might be sitting with us at the table but she hasn't declared a side yet.

It's obvious she's against the Phoenix and she fought alongside us. Anyone can fight someone else's enemy when they're in danger though. So how am I supposed to know if she's really on our side? Of course, fighting Dvalin added another layer of credibility to her name but what if she has ulterior motives?

Underneath her smiling, cute figure and smut book talk she's actually quite cunning. You're telling me that she predicted the citizens of Mondstadt to go against me yet she hasn't planned for a way to defeat Dvalin? How long has she been receiving information too? She looked quite comfortable this morning digging into someone's grave. Like if she's done it before.

Everyone else sitting at this table was easier to read, except for Kaeya. He tried to suffocate me. He tried to kill me. I'm not sure why that fact hasn't settled into my mind yet. Was it because I gave him a pass out of empathy? But why would he? I thought of it for a while but the fact he's willing to kill anyone without reason is out of character.

Damn, he even sounded scared when he was doing it. A knight only wields the sword given to him. So he's taking orders from someone else, is that right? Aside from Jean, who else would he listen to? Who else would he kill for? Diluc? No, Diluc would never ask him for a thing. No matter how much has changed.

Throughout the game it has always been hinted that he'll have to choose a side. This world or his past. So I have two people I have to watch out for. Ariana and Kaeya. Both of their motives are something I cannot determine at this very moment.

And here I thought living in this world would be so much easier. Instead I find myself running back to my old ways. How long before I won't even be able to look people in the eye?