56

****
EDUARDO.

I sat in the corridor of the hospital with Lorenzo not far from me, probably wondering what the fate of his father would be. Aviva had insisted on coming along, I did not know why Marco had not been nice since the engagement to his son was off.

Maybe she was here to support Catalina, I could not tell but I kept mute and watched her, I wanted to make sure she was fine. My woman was stubborn and I decided that I was too tired to argue with her on going home.

She sat with Catalina who was shedding tears, I did not want to think about what I saw on the screen, I had requested my men to search well for the person who fired the shot. Shooting a don was a big crime in our world, one which punishment was decided by the next Don.

With what I saw on that projector it was not going to be Lorenzo Mancini, not when his uncles were still alive and well. There will never be Lorenzo to take over even though Marco named him heir.

Lorenzo knew the consequences of having that affair although I supposed he thought he would not get caught having an affair with a married woman and the woman is just not anyone, the woman is the wife of your father is a level of betrayal even I could not understand.

Alessio and Luca Marco's son were thankfully not here, and Catalina looked too displaced to remember her children, Marco's assassination prolonged her punishment but she will be undeniably punished regardless of what she does. Aviva glanced at me worriedly as she continued consoling Catalina. She had the same thought in her mind but none of us dared to say it.

Carlos walked with Alejandro toward me, "we found him," Carlos muttered, and I nodded. I did not approach Lorenzo leaving him to think of what he had done. I followed Carlos and Alejandro out of the waiting room for us to talk better.

"It was not Russians," Carlos assured me. I had suspected the Russians of carrying out such dirty work, so who could it be?! Who could have such access to them that would do something like that?!

"It was Alessio Ricci," I sucked in a breath, that bastard! My eyes burnt in anger. Of course, the motherfucker was messing with his niece's life. Catalina was stupid enough to think that he was doing everything to help her not only himself.

Marco would never forgive Catalina or Lorenzo for this betrayal, I suspected that he would annihilate them both. Leaving young Luca and Alessio, direct ties to him, their favourite uncle. That could not be his only plan, he had a personal motive for letting the affair between them out.

"Where is he?" I asked them, "Last with heard he was seen with..." Carlos did not need me to complete it before I knew it.

"Rio."

****

The doctor stepped forward, "Sir Marco has a stroke, thankfully he survived the gunshot wound but he will not be the same after what has happened."

I glanced at Lorenzo who clenched his jaw, Catalina busted into a loud sob while Aviva stood behind her and continued to comfort her. This was bad! The was bad!

Now that it was public knowledge that Lorenzo and Catalina were having an affair the Cosa Nostra would never allow Lorenzo to step into the shoes of his father. His father named him heir but before he could retract his will he was gunned down and almost dead. Rightfully the cost nostra and everything Marco Mancini had built would go to his son but with everything that has happened a war is about to start.

This was the perfect distraction... This was the way Rio and Alessio planned to put us in disarray. If my biggest ally is unable to fight or give orders, his heir unable to ascend, I will be left vulnerable and he will be able to use that against me, I could not let that happen.