𝕿𝖜𝖔

Wang Yibo paused, and his brow furrowed slightly: "Xiao Zhan has returned to Beijing so soon?"

The border war had been chaotic for several years, and neighboring countries had continued to invade. Xiao Zhan's family had two generations of generals, stationed at the border all year round. They had made great military achievements and had long become the stabilizing force of the Xuan Dynasty. Beijing received the good news last month that Mongolia, the most disobedient country in the north, had finally surrendered, willing to cede land and pay tribute for peace.

At this point, the border was finally at peace. The Emperor's noble face was exultant, and he immediately ordered the army to return to court.

Counting the days, there should still be a few days before they returned to Beijing.

"It wasn't the general who came, but the old housekeeper of the general's mansion, who is quite an amiable fellow. He came to discuss the details of your marriage. If you are not in the mansion, I will let him go back first," Xiao Gao replied.

*Xiao Gao - Xiao is not the surname of this person. Wang Yibo addresses him as such which means 'Little Gao'*

"He......" Wang Yibo was at a loss for words, and asked in confusion after a long moment, "The people in the general's mansion just gave up like this? How can Xiao Zhan be obedient?"

Xiao Gao sighed: "Can he be disobedient? This is an imperial decree, my lord. Let alone General Xiao, you also have to act honestly and sincerely......"

Wang Yibo glanced at him, and Xiao Gao immediately covered his mouth.

It was dusk when he arrived at the palace, and the setting sun fell on the red walls of the palace as it slowly sank.

Wang Yibo came to the side hall unimpeded. The man in the dragon robe was still reviewing the official memorial.[1]* He had a well-proportioned appearance, sharp eyes, and majesty in his gestures. Wang Yibo cupped his hands respectfully: "Minister Wang Yibo has seen Your Majesty."

*[1] This memorial is official correspondence from the officials to the Emperor.*

"Without outsiders, there is no need to be polite," Wang Xuan[2]* said without raising his head. "Come here, the ink is out."

*[2] The Emperor has the same surname as Wang Yibo, and it even uses the same character. This shouldn't be because they are related in any way, but there could be another reason for it. I haven't read far enough ahead to find out though!*

Wang Yibo approached slowly, picked up the ink stone, and skillfully grinded the ink.

For a while, no one spoke, and there was only the faint fragrance of ink lingering around. After a long time, Wang Xuan took the initiative to speak: "Are you angry about the marriage?"

"This humble minister dares not."

Wang Xuan glanced at him sideways, and the other party lowered his head and concentrated on studying the ink, showing no emotion.

They had known each other for many years, after all, so how could Wang Xuan not know that he had resentment in his heart? His tone softened: "I didn't know that the guoshi would calculate such a divinatory trigram."

It was said in the divinatory trigram that the abnormal movement of celestial phenomena were changes in the eight trigrams. Yin and Xiaog were out of balance, and lest society become disturbed, a person born in a yin year, on a yin day, at a yin time must be combined with someone who was born in a Xiaog year, with a Xiaog moon, at a Xiaog time. Only then could the eight trigrams[3]* be corrected.

*[3] I recommend reading up on the eight trigrams here if you want more details on this cosmology.*

As soon as this trigram came out, all the officials in the court thought of Xiao Zhan. Even though he seldom showed up in front of everyone, he was notoriously masculine, outliving his parents and younger brother. There were two marriages before, and the brides passed away one after another before the wedding. Even the dog at home died strangely. It was honestly terrifying.