chapter 39 - let go

FLASHBACK, BEFORE THE PHONE CALL

"She's been in there for so long, something's not right." Jiyoung said to the girls, her face was full of concern. They were sitting in the living room of their dorm, and Hyerin had been in the bathroom for a long time now, so her members were starting to get worried.

"Should I go check on her?" Seoyeon asked. Hayoung and Jiyoung looked at eachother, unsure of what to do. They were afraid that she had done something to herself. "Okay, let's-" Hayoung spoke but she was cut off to the sound of the bathroom door opening, revealing Hyerin.

At one glance, they could tell something was wrong. Hyerin's eyes were bloodshot red and puffy. She was sniffling but she was trying to hide it, but the girls knew her too well. "Hyerin are you okay?" Seoyeon ran up to her and cupped her face. Hyerin shook her head, and forced out a weak smile.

Seoyeon carefully led Hyerin to the sofa where the older girls were sitting. "Tell us what's wrong, Erin." Jiyoung asked, tucking Hyerin's hair behind her ear. They looked at Hyerin in silence, as she fiddled with her fingers.

Hyerin paused for a moment, before talking again. "I'm breaking up with Jungwon."

"What?? Why? Did something happen??" Seoyeon asked as her eyes widened. "Nothing happened between us, but I don't think I can do this anymore. Knowing that he's getting all this hate because of me, I can't live like this unnie." Hyerin spoke, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Hyerin, I know this is a difficult situation, but please, think carefully." Hayoung joined in, rubbing Hyerin's back. "There's nothing to think about, unnie. What would you do if you were in my shoes? The guilt is eating me up everyday, it's exhausting." Hyerin continued, she was sobbing now.

The girls didn't say anything more. They didn't want to pressure her, and if that was what she really wanted, they wouldn't stop her. They knew she had been suffering a lot, they couldn't help but tear up as they watched her cry.

BACK TO THE PHONE CALL

Jungwon's heart dropped.

"What? Why? Did I do something wrong? Please tell me, love. Let's fix this." Jungwon said, his voice sounded like his was about to cry.

"No, you didn't do anything wrong. It's just not working out, Won. I have to do this for us."

"What are you talking about? Can you please wait for me to get back from the tour? We can work this out when I return. Please, love. I can't lose you." His voice cracked, he had tears streaming down his face.

Hyerin took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, Won. But I have to let you go. Don't call me anymore, okay? Have a safe flight and enjoy the rest of the tour. Goodbye, Jungwon."

"Wait!"

Beep.

Hyerin hung up and started bursting into tears. Her members were there, comforting her. They hugged her tightly as she cried her heart out. She was lost, dumbfounded. She didn't want to break up with him, she loved him as much as he loved her.

But she knew how important his career was to him, and she didn't want to stand in the way. This was his dream. She didn't want to affect his performance on stage, but she figured it'd be better to do it now than later. She knew she couldn't bear to break up with him in person.

On the other hand, Jungwon was devastated. He felt like he had been stabbed by a million knives. His heart shattered into a million pieces, but he had to act like he was okay. Afterall, they had a concert tomorrow, so he had to put on a strong front and perform well.

When in reality, 

he was broken inside.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

HYBE LABELS :
Hello, this is HYBE. We are sad to inform you that our artists Hyerin and Jungwon have ended their relationship, and are no longer together. We hope you will respect their decision and continue supporting them. Thank you.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"Eomma! Unnie and Jungwon oppa broke up!" Hana immediately told the news to her mother. "What!? This must have something to do with the company, they wouldn't break up even if they were offered a billion dollars!" Mrs Kang raised her voice in shock.

"Call your sister right now Hana."

Hana dialed Hyerin's number and she eventually picked up. "Hello?"

"Erin! My baby, are you okay? I heard what happened."

"I'm okay, Mom. I'll explain it to you when I get home." Hyerin replied.

"You're coming home?? Suddenly?? What happened?? Did you resign?"

Hyerin could only let out a soft chuckle. "See you soon, Eomma."

Beep.

Meanwhile, the guys noticed that Jungwon wasn't in the right mind to perform. He had dark under eye circles, he didn't sleep a wink last night. He didn't smile or laugh, even on stage. The fan base was rising again, and the sales were getting better. Nobody brought hateful banners to the concert.

Jungwon did his best, but it was clear to everyone that he did not want to be on stage. But he had no choice, this was his job. The company insisted that he perform. He couldn't disappoint a million people, and he couldn't mix personal problems with work.

At this point, Jungwon was rethinking his whole life. Was his job really more important than the love of his life?