Mourning the Princess (Davos Seaworth x fem!reader)

(WARNINGS: ANGST, MENTIONS OF CHARACTER DEATH! SPOILERS FOR SEASONS 5&6!!!!)

Not every handmaiden was as lucky as you had been. Your charge was so kind and sweet. She saw the good in everyone and never missed an opportunity to learn or grow. Yes, being the maid of Princess Shireen Baratheon was the best job you could hoped for. Then, King Stannis mysteriously sent you away. It was many weeks before you discovered why.

You were in the halls of Winterfell after the battle when Davos stormed in, taking you by surprise. Jon and the Lady Melisandre were also shocked. You smiled at him, but it quickly fell when you saw the fierce look in his eyes. Davos had been your friend for a long time. You had helped Shireen teach him to read and the two of you grew close. Needless to say, you knew his moods better than most.

He threw a hand-carved wooden stag on the table. Even through the scorch marks, you could tell it was the toy Davos had made for Shireen. Your eyes darted to Davos for a moment. You could almost feel the rage coming off him. You looked back at the toy and zoned out. The last you saw Shireen, she'd had a firm grip on that toy.

You came back to reality when you heard Davos yelling. "I loved that girl! Like she was my own!" You felt a tug in your heart, knowing that you felt the same way. You covered your mouth with your hand to stifle the sob that threatened to escape. Your eyes watered and you moved your hand down just enough to ask, "How could you? She...didn't deserve that. That poor child." You couldn't hold back anymore and the tears flowed down your face.

You couldn't stand being in the same room as that woman anymore, so you left. You ran to the chambers Jon had given you and threw yourself down on the bed. You sobbed until you couldn't anymore. Your heart broke for that poor, sweet child who was taken from the world far too soon. All because of one woman's word.

A knock on your door made you sit up. "Come," you called, your voice hoarse from crying. The door opened and Davos stepped in. You could see that his eyes were red from crying as well. "Davos," was all you managed to squeak out before the tears came again. In an instant, Davos was by your side. "It isn't fair, Davos. Why should Shireen have been taken from us?"

Davos didn't answer. How could he? He didn't have the answer. He did know that he felt the same. Shireen might as well have been yours and his. You seemed to care for her more than her parents. The two of you were there for Shireen when she needed someone. You shaped and molded her into the Princess she was and she had taught the both of you that there was still some good in the world.

Davos pulled you close to him and rested his bearded cheek on the top of your head. The two of you sat there for what felt like hours. The tears were flowing freely from both of you. You both felt the loss of Shireen more than either one of you could explain. When you were certain you couldn't cry anymore, you pulled away from Davos to look in his eyes.

"What will happen to the Red Woman?" you asked him, uncertain whether you wanted the answer or not. "Jon Snow banished her. If she ever returns to the North, she will be executed. If Jon Snow doesn't do it, I will kill her myself," he responded, tightened his grip on you. You'd never heard him speak so passionately before so you knew he was serious. You nodded in understanding. "Good."

Davos cleared his throat and let you go, as if he was only just realizing the closeness between you. "What will you do now, Y/N?" You shrugged and sniffled. "I do not know. I have always been in service. Now that Shireen and the rest of the Baratheon's are dead, with the exception of King Tommen, I do not know where to go."

"Perhaps Lady Sansa will allow you to remain here. I know Lord Commander Snow has asked me to stay on as an advisor." You chuckled wryly. "You mean King Jon." Davos snorted, knowing that's not what Jon really wanted. "Right. Another king. Although I do believe this one will be better than the last." You agreed and actually smiled.

"I came in here to ask you something." You cocked your head to the side."I would like send the Princess off with a proper farewell. I know she's gone, but it doesn't feel...right to just leave it." Unbelievably, you felt your eyes water again. "I think that's a wonderful idea, Davos."The two of you immediately came up with an idea and began planning. You didn't care that it was just going to be you and Davos. Together, you would mourn that little girl. The princess who had made both of your lives a little bit brighter. dy>J