Twinkle in His Eyes (Jaime Lannister x fem!reader)

"Come along, Kingslayer. Y/N." Brienne ordered and you rolled your eyes. You and your sister usually got along well, until you were tasked by Lady Stark to escort Ser Jaime Lannister back to King's Landing. You didn't care for the way Brienne had treated Jaime the first few weeks you were together. She still refused to call him by his name, even though he insisted. You, on the other hand, had no problem. He hadn't done anything to offend or hurt you.

Now, you were so close to King's Landing, you could have cheered. You could see that Jaime was beyond ready to be home. There was part of you that would miss his company. True, he was far from perfect and he could be downright crude at times, but he was witty and charming and he made you laugh. He even saved your and Brienne's lives.

"How is your arm, Jaime?" you asked him as you walked next to him behind Brienne. He smiled softly, but didn't take his eyes off the city in front of you. "I can't feel any pain, if that's what you're asking." You nodded and followed Brienne into the city. No sooner were you in the gates, did two guards grab your arms and escort you to the throne room. You were dragged before the king and made to kneel in front of him. You could see the fire in Brienne's eyes at their treatment of you, but you knew she wouldn't do anything that could get you hurt.

"How do we know you aren't spies for Catelyn Stark? Sent here to assassinate me?" Joffrey was practically screeching like a barn owl. You shied away. You weren't sure how to answer his question without him getting angry or without getting angry yourself. A spy? Why on earth would he think you were a spy? Luckily for you, Jaime spoke out in your favor.

"Your Grace, Lady Y/N is no spy. I assure you, no spy, no matter what they are paid, would have gone through what Lady Y/N did. Brienne of Tarth was tasked with bringing me and with presenting Lady Stark's terms. Lady Y/N merely accompanied her sister and I. Nothing more, nothing less." You noticed how careful he was not to use your name without your title, despite having called you by your name for most of your journey. You knew he was trying to help, but it stung a little.

Joffrey turned his gaze back to you. You kept your eyes downcast so you wouldn't incur his wrath. You'd heard it was a sight to feared. "Very well." You fought back the sigh of relief that threatened to bubble forth. "Get our guests cleaned up and escort them to their chambers." You quickly rose to your feet and sent Jaime a look to say thanks. Jaime merely nodded once, but he had lost the warmth that had been in his eyes before you entered the city. It made you sad.

You didn't see Jaime again for several days, much to your dismay, but you spent many hours exploring the Red Keep. It was vast and held so many secrets. You also enjoyed reading in the gardens. You were heading toward one of the many gardens, book in hand, when you finally saw Jaime again. "Where are you off to, Lady Y/N?"

"Have we resorted to formalities again, Ser?" you quipped back, looking up into his green eyes. He had cut off the majority of his hair and beard. All that was left of the beard was a little stubble. It suited him, though you'd never admit that out loud. Jaime sighed. "There are a different set of rules here, Y/N."

You frowned. "Then you should return to your post, shouldn't you?" You turned away, only to have Jaime grab your arm with his good hand. Only then did you glance down to see the golden hand that had replaced the one cut off.

"Please, Y/N. I-I must admit that I have missed your company these past few days. I see your sister, but not you." You shrugged. "You and my sister have more in common. I am not surprised you have seen her out and about. I myself have found joy in exploring the Keep." Jaime dropped your arm and sighed. "That could be dangerous for you, Y/N." You shrugged again. "I can defend myself."