A Lion in Winterfell (Jon Snow X fem!Lannister reader)

Being the youngest Lannister had its perks. You were the only child from Tywin's second wife, who, unfortunately, also passed away. You were treated like royalty, the apple of your father's eye, close to both your brothers and you goodbrother. The only person in your family that didn't care for you was your sister, Cersei. It drove her mad that everyone seemed to love you so much, especially Jaime and Robert. In fact, they adored you so much, they worked together to get a rather protective pet.

"Jaime, slow down!" you giggled as you brother pulled you through the corridors of King's Landing. You had been packing for your journey to Winterfell. Jaime smiled over his shoulder at you and continued to run until he made it to Robert's study. You arched a brow at him. Jaime was never this excited when it came to Robert. After knocking once, Jaime opened the door and ushered you inside.

Robert was standing by the window and he turned when you entered the room. You gasped at the sight of the small animal in his arms. "Is that-?" Robert nodded and beamed at you. "Its mother is dead. Thought you'd like a chance to raise the beast." The lion cub struggled against Robert's grasp as you walked over to him. "Thank you, Robert." Robert directed his gaze over to Jaime. "Don't thank me. I wanted to kill it. Your brother over there convinced me to give it to you for your nameday." You grinned. "Thank you both!" They nodded and Jaime said, "You're welcome. Now go finish packing."

*time skip*

A month later, you were so ready to be in Winterfell. Riding in the wheelhouse with your sister and her children was slightly uncomfortable. And lonely since Cersei wouldn't allow your lion into the wheelhouse with you. He was "too big and frightening" to be around the children. You could agree that Ari was big, but he wasn't all that frightening unless he felt that either he or you were threatened. So Ari was forced to walk alongside the wheelhouse, you joining him on occasion. Needless to say, you were thrilled when you finally arrived at your destination.

You climbed out of your confinement and Ari came right over to you. You reached down and stroked his head. His mane was starting to come in and you were still getting used to the different feeling. Your eyes scanned the Stark family in front of you. They were a beautiful family, but your gaze settled on a dark haired boy behind the rest of them. "Jaime, who is that?" you asked quietly. Your oldest brother smiled softly. "That's Ned Stark's bastard, Jon Snow."

You glanced back at Jon to find him already staring in your direction. You were certain he was staring at Ari though. "Is that beast safe?" Catelyn Stark asked once Robert and Ned had disappeared, causing you to look at her with a smile. "He is, Lady Stark. He has been in my care and under my training. He would not harm anyone without my say so. I swear." You continued to smile at her and you saw her visibly relax. The youngest Stark girl glanced at you and then at Ari.

"C-Can I..."she trailed off and you nodded. "Of course. Ari is gentle." She came forward slowly, hand outstretched. Ari backed up and tried to hide behind you. "Scaredy cat," you mumbled. Arya giggled. You started to tell her that maybe Ari would be more willing later when you heard something howling. "Oh! Would you like to see our direwolves?" She looked up at you with such dark pleading eyes that you had to agree.

You never would have expected a lion and a direwolf to get along, but Ari loved playing with the Stark children's direwolves, especially Nymeria and Ghost. Because your protectors got along so well, you spent a lot of time with Arya and Jon. Arya was a really sweet, if not rebellious girl. She loved doing things that weren't exactly ladylike. You found it to be a breath of fresh air. Then there was Jon.

Jon. Every time you thought about him, you smiled. He was so charming. Sure, he brooded a lot, but you could understand why. He was a bastard and felt he had no chance at a happy life. Catelyn didn't like him which made his time at Winterfell less than ideal. Beyond that though, Jon was a gentleman. He made you laugh and treated you like a person instead of a prize. And Ari like him. During your stay in Winterfell, you ended up spending more and more time with Jon.

"My lady, would you care to ride with me?" he asked you one day and you readily agreed. You were itching to get out and spend time with him. Alone. Unfortunately, Jaime insisted on riding with you when you told him where you were going. "Jaime, please..." you begged, hoping to change his mind. Jaime smiled. "I'll tell you what, I will ride far behind. I can still keep an eye on you, but I will not be intruding." You reluctantly agreed.

Once out in the woods, you grinned. You loved being outside. After a while, you looked over at Jon. "Race you!" you said, urging your horse into a gallop. You'd opted to leave Ari at Winterfell so he wouldn't be tempted to chase the horses. He was a wild animal after all. Jon actually laughed, something you'd learned was rare, and followed after you. You were kind of hoping to lose Jaime. There was something you wanted to talk to Jon about.

You reached the stream and stopped your horse. You looked back and didn't see Jaime anywhere. Smiling to yourself, you waited for Jon to catch up. "You win, my lady," he commented when he brought his horse to a stop. You giggled and dismounted. Jon did the same and you let your horses drink. You felt your face beginning to heat up at the thought of what you were about to do. It wasn't like you to be so bold, but you had to see. You had to know if Jon felt the same way you did.

You cleared your throat and turned to Jon, hoping your face didn't give away the fact that your heart was thundering away, threatening to beat right out of your chest. "You know, the victor usually gets a reward of some kind," you said. You mentally praised yourself for keeping your voice steady. Jon arched a brow. "Oh? And what sort of reward would the victor like?" You took a step closer to him and looked up into his dark eyes. "A kiss."

There is was. Out in the open. Your feelings for Jon had grown since you'd arrived in Winterfell. You were pretty certain you loved him. If he refused to kiss you, you'd know he had no interest in you and that he didn't feel the same. If he accepted, then there was hope. Hope was something you desperately wanted and something you wanted to give Jon. He needed to know that there was more for him than just being a bastard. That love could be in the cards for him.

Jon's face was bright red. "A k-kiss?" You nodded. After what seemed like hours, Jon swallowed thickly. He took a step toward you, effectively closing the distance. He brought one hand up to cup your cheek. "Are you sure?" he whispered and you assured him that you were. As soon as the words were out of your mouth, Jon's lips descended on yours. It was everything you'd expected it would be and more.

Jaime, who had followed you both, caught sight of what was happening and smiled. Sure, the boy was a bastard, but you seemed happy. That was all Jaime wanted for you. Deciding that he no longer needed to watch over you, Jaime rode back to Winterfell. He was met by Cersei and Tyrion. "What has you so happy?" Tyrion asked. "It appears as though our dear sister has fallen in love."

"In love? With the Stark boy?" Cersei asked with a scoff. Jaime shook his head. "Close, but no." Tyrion was about to ask what he meant when you and Jon came riding back through the gates. Jon's face was still red, but you were both grinning from ear to ear. "The bastard? She can't love a bastard. Can you imagine how that would make the Lannisters look?"

"You mean, human? Capable of compassion? Willing to put the love of others first?" Tyrion fired back at her and Jaime nodded. "No. I won't allow it," Cersei declared. "Yes you will, Cersei. Y/N is our sister and she is happy. What does it matter with whom? Leave them alone." Cersei gaped at Jaime. He'd never been so forceful with her before. She glared at you across the courtyard before stalking back inside.

You watched Cersei briefly then turned back to Jon. You laced your fingers through his and pulled him behind you. Jon's laughter echoed through the courtyard as the two of you raced to where your lion and his direwolf were waiting. Everyone who cared about you both were watching as you and Jon stopped and kissed again.

Ned, Jaime, and Tyrion were all grinning at the sight and even Catelyn had to admit that it was a good match. "Will you marry your son off to the Lannister, Ned?" she asked and Ned shrugged. "If that is what they both wish, then yes. I will write Tywin Lannister myself should Jon or Y/N approach me on the subject. And even if Lord Tywin disagrees, I shall shelter her here." Catelyn smiled. Her husband was a good man. "A lion living in Winterfell. A strange thing indeed."