Protection From the Ex (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader) Single Parent/Neighbor AU

(There is ABUSE, both physical and verbal, in this fic! Read at your discretion.)

When you moved into the house next door, Sandor was determined not to get to know you. He didn't need anyone in his life. He was happy living alone. Besides, no one stayed in your house long. All the tenants before you were afraid of Sandor. There was no evidence to suggest that you would be any different. But then he actually met you and your son.

You were walking to your car as Sandor was coming back from his run. "Good morning," you greeted with a smile. Sandor felt his brows come together in confusion. Were you talking to him? More importantly, were you smiling at him? "Uh, mornin'." Your smile brightened. You were about to say something else when a voice called out, "Wait for me, Mom!"

A young boy came darting toward the car. He stopped short when he saw Sandor. The boy's eyes went wide as his gaze traveled up Sandor's nearly seven-foot form. Sandor arched a brow when the boy's gaze got to his face. Instead of looking afraid, he looked almost like he was in awe of the giant of a man. "Whoa! You look so cool!" Sandor blinked in surprise and looked at you. You looked ready to run away in embarrassment.

"Come on, Y/S/N. You need to get to school and I'm already late for work." You turned to Sandor with a soft smile. "It was nice meeting you Mr..." you trailed off. It took Sandor a second to realize you were waiting for him to supply a name. "Sandor. Sandor Clegane." Your smile widened as Y/S/N piped up, "Even your name is cool!" You shushed him before offering Sandor your hand. "I'm Y/F/N."

After that day, Sandor saw you nearly every morning. You and Y/S/N would greet him and sometimes talk for a couple minutes. Then, one day, your son was outside before you and invited Sandor over for dinner that night. After confirming with you that it was okay, Sandor agreed. He wasn't sure why. Maybe it was because he didn't have many friends outside of his motorcycle club, something else Y/S/N thought was "cool".

Sandor found himself nervous for the first time he could remember. He kept scolding himself. It was just dinner with his neighbor. His very attractive neighbor. And her son. He didn't understand it, but something about you made him a little nervous. Maybe it was because you were the first woman who didn't look at him in disgust the first time you saw him. Or maybe it was the fact that you always had a smile for him. Sandor didn't know, but he couldn't deny that he liked it.

Y/S/N opened the door and grinned. "Mr. Clegane!" Sandor greeted the boy and tried not to make it too obvious that he was looking for you. Too bad your son was really observant. "Mom's in the kitchen. Come on." Sandor ducked into the house. He followed your son into your kitchen. Once again, you gave him a smile. "Hello, Sandor. I'm glad you could make it. It's nice to have conversation with an adult outside of work, sometimes." Sandor just shrugged a little and you asked your son to set the table.

As Sandor looked around your house, he noticed that there were no pictures on the walls or anything like that. It was as if you weren't planning on making this a permanent home. There were even still suitcases leaning up against a wall, in case you needed to leave in a hurry. There was a part of Sandor that wanted to know what was troubling you, but the other part decided not to ruin the evening by asking.

Dinner went off without a hitch. Sandor found himself laughing, really laughing, and enjoying your company. You were a kind woman and a great cook. Your son was inquisitive. He asked questions about everything. But there was one question that even caught you off guard. "How'd you get those scars?" You instantly scolded him. Sandor wasn't sure how to answer. Did he tell the truth? In the end, he decided not to say anything until he got to know you both better. Then Y/S/N asked another question.

"Would you ever hit someone you loved?" Sandor watched as your body stiffened and you hissed your son's name. This time, Sandor didn't hesitate to answer. "No." That one word seemed to satisfy the boy, but you gave him a look that said the two of you would be having a conversation once Sandor left. You refused to let that conversation make the rest of the evening awkward though and did your best to be a good hostess. Sandor didn't mind one bit. In fact, that dinner was the first of many.