Neighbors (Podrick Payne x fem!reader) Modern/High school AU

(Awkwardness, angst, some fluff, mentions of watching porn, but as always nothing explicit! Still SFW!) 

Senior year was hard. Last year of high school, the time when you had to decide what to do with your life, where you really needed to buckle down and study. That wasn't the hard part for you. What was hard for you was relationships. Sure you had friends, but you hadn't had a serious boyfriend. Why? Because the one guy you wanted to be with was completely clueless to your feelings.

Pod couldn't be blamed. You hadn't actually come out and told him how you felt. You weren't sure how. You'd been neighbors for what felt like forever and really close friends since the day he moved in next door. You spent late nights sitting in your windows, talking to each other across your side yards. You studied together and hung out together sometimes. But you just couldn't seem to open your mouth and admit that you had come to like him as more than a friend. But that was all going to change. You were going to tell him if it killed you.

One night, you were preparing to go next door and tell Pod how you felt. You even sort of dressed up for the occasion. You wore your favorite sundress paired with a pair of flats and a cute cardigan. You brushed your hair until it shined and even applied some light make-up. You needed to feel confident in what you were about to do. You looked at yourself in the mirror and smiled. That's when you heard it.

A giggle. Faint at first, like it was being carried on the wind. Then it got a little louder. Curious, you walked over to the window. Pod's curtains were pulled closed, but the window itself was open and that's where the giggle was coming from. The noise got a little louder and, after a while, changed to something else. Moans. Over-exaggerated ones sure, but moans nonetheless. Your felt your face heat up as you realized exactly what was going on in Pod's room. With a broken heart, you closed your window to drown out the noise. It was only muffled. Then, you curled up on your bed and began to cry.

The next morning, you were already in class when Pod walked in. He gave you a confused look, which you ignored. The two of you usually drove to school together, but you just couldn't face him that morning. You didn't realize you wouldn't have a choice but to spend time with him that afternoon.

Your Biology teacher, Mr. Tarly, decided to assign projects and, wouldn't you know it? You and Pod were partnered up together. Pod approached you after class with his typical shy smile, the one that made you weak in the knees. "You want to come to mine tonight to work on the project?" You mumbled a confirmation before getting up and practically sprinting out the door, leaving a confused Pod behind.

You spent the rest of the day trying to avoid Pod. Sure it was a bit immature, but you weren't sure how to handle your broken heart. But, afternoon came quickly and you found yourself entering the Payne house. Pod's parents left the side door to the kitchen unlocked for you when you weren't in school since you and Pod spent so much time together. "Afternoon, Y/N. Pod's up in his room getting ready. Why don't you take some of these homemade granola bars upstairs. You need the brain food."

Despite how crushed you were feeling, you gave Pod's mother a genuine smile. She was always so upbeat and positive. "Thanks, Mrs. Payne." Taking some of the granola bars, you headed upstairs. Outside Pod's room, you took a deep breath. It was now or never and you needed to work on the project. Knocking once, you opened the door. Pod was sitting at his desk, writing something down, but looked up at you with a smile. "Hey, Y/N!" You attempted to smile back, but couldn't seem to manage it. Instead, you plopped down in the second chair that Pod always kept in his room for you.

For a few minutes, you didn't say anything. Pod kept trying to start a conversation with you, but you weren't interested. The tension in the room was nearly palpable. After about his fifth attempt to talk to you, Pod sighed. "Alright, what is up with you today? You left without me this morning, you won't look at me, or talk to me...did I do something wrong?" You lifted your eyes up to meet his and he really looked confused.

"What did you do after school yesterday, Pod?" His brows furrowed. "What do you mean?" You rolled your eyes and pointed to the window. "Most people close their windows when they have that kind of company. Especially when their neighbors are so close. I heard everything," you told him through gritted teeth. Pod still looked confused, forcing you to let out a groan.

"I mean, it's bad enough you didn't tell me you had a girlfriend. I'm your best friend, Pod! But to let me find out in such an...awkward way? That's just wrong!" Understanding finally lit up Pod's face. "I don't have a girlfriend, Y/N. Sabrina is just a friend." You snorted in disbelief. "Really close friend then, if you ask me. Weren't you listening? I heard everything." Pod swallowed thickly.

"I heard you, but it wasn't what it sounded like. Not really. Sabrina wanted to, but I couldn't do it. I was too nervous. She got upset and left real fast." It was your turn to be confused. "T-Then what was it I heard if you weren't doing that?" Pod looked down at his lap and then cast his glance over to his laptop. His face was bright red and it clicked. "Oh my gods, Pod!" you cried and then lowered your voice so his mom wouldn't hear, "Were you watching porn?" Pod's face turned even more red as he mumbled something about everyone doing it. "Yeah, but most people don't do it with the window open where their best friend can hear."

"Sorry," he muttered then he looked at you again and asked, "Wait a minute. Why did it bother you so much that I had a girl over? You're over here all the time." You felt your own face heat up. You had revealed way too much. Pod was more observant than most people gave credit for and you'd forgotten that in your little fit. "W-Were you jealous?" Your eyes widened and you sat straight in your chair.

"Of c-course not! Why would I be jealous?" Your words were coming out jumbled and you were fidgeting a lot, Pod smiled knowingly. He slowly and nervously reached over to take one of your hands in his. You stopped moving and stared into his brown eyes. "Wanna know the real reason I couldn't do anything with Sabrina?" You arched a brow, urging him to continue. "I was nervous, really. But only because Sabrina isn't who I really want to be with. She never was. You are. And I couldn't ruin any chance I had with you by doing...that with her."

You felt like your face was so hot it would melt off. "Really?" Pod nodded shyly. "Yeah. You're my best friend, Y/N and really the only person I can really be myself with. You don't care that I'm awkward and shy. I've wanted to tell you for a while now that I like you. A lot." Your lips stretched in to a smile. "Pod, when I heard you yesterday, it broke my heart. I was on my way over to finally tell you how I feel," you admitted softly.

Pod grinned as he slowly leaned in. Your heart nearly burst out of your chest, it was beating so hard and fast. Just as your lips were about to meet, the door opened and Pod's mother walked in. Pod sprang away from you, his elbow hitting a couple keys on the laptop keyboard. Sounds of moaning filled the room, much to your and Pod's embarrassment.

"PODRICK PAYNE! IS THAT PORN?!" Pod's eyes widened in fear as he tried to stop the video. "Uh, we were trying to come up with ideas for our biology project," you covered quickly, "Like how sights and sounds of certain videos affect each gender differently, biologically speaking." Her expression softened a bit. "I see. That seems a bit inappropriate for a high school project, don't you think?" You smiled. "You're right. It was just an idea, but we can move onto the next one on our list."

She smiled back at you and nodded. "Good idea. Just wanted to see if you were staying for dinner, Y/N?" You told her you'd be happy to and she left. As soon as the door closed behind her, you and Pod burst into a fit of laughter. Needless to say, you didn't have your first kiss that afternoon, but that was alright. You'd later discover that a kiss from Pod was a kiss worth waiting for.