The Dragon and the Thunderbird (Viserys x reader) AU

Viserys' brows drew together as he read the letter in his hand. "What is it?" Daenerys asked, coming around to read over his shoulder. "Some lord is sending a representative to meet with me...something about an alliance between our houses. I've heard very little about House Y/L/N." Daenerys hummed and questioned when the representative would be arriving. The sound of the dragons outside gave her the answer she was looking for.

Viserys got up from his seat and ran out to the balcony. Following the gaze of his dragon, Viserys saw the biggest bird he had ever seen and it was flying right toward him. "Dracarys!" he yelled in fear and Daenerys had to bite back a laugh. Still, the dragon did as commanded. To everyone's surprise, the bird expertly dodged the flames, coming right over to the balcony.

"Would you be so kind as to stop trying to kill my bird?" a voice asked. Viserys looked on the bird's back and, sure enough, there was a person riding it. You. The bird got as close to the balcony as it could and you skillfully jumped off its back. "I am Y/N of House Y/L/N. My father sent me to meet with you. I apologize for disturbing your dragons."

The Targaryen siblings simply stared at you. "Go find some meat," you told the bird over your shoulder. In a gust of wind, the bird did as it was told. "What is that?" Viserys asked as he found his voice once more. He was irate and you could tell. His silvery locks were a mess around him and his violet eyes shone with rage. "That is Vaelor. My thunderbird. The thunderbird is the sigil of my house."

"And what beings you here, Y/N?" Daenerys asked you, placing a comforting hand on her brother's shoulder. "My father wishes to seek an alliance between our two houses. We know you plan on returning to Westeros and claiming the Iron Throne. We wish to help." Viserys scoffed. "I do not require the help of a House with nothing to offer besides a large bird."

"That large bird is a thunderbird, or weren't you listening? However, my father also possesses a rather large army and ships to get those armies to Westeros. If you do not wish our assistance, then I shall return home once Vaelor has had a chance to rest." You brushed passed the two silver-haired people.

Viserys didn't like that. He didn't like the fact that you were treating him like less than he was. "Do not turn away from me! I am a king!" You glanced back at him. "Are you?" You turned back and walked away, leaving Viserys to stare after you. "Perhaps you should hear what Y/N has to say. It cannot hurt. It doesn't appear as though releasing the dragon is the way to get through to this particular person."

It was dark when Viserys saw you again. Daenerys had given you a room for the night, much to Viserys' dismay. It was right next to his. Viserys was enjoying a goblet of wine on his balcony when he saw Vaelor in the skies again. The thunderbird came flying so quickly toward the palace that Viserys wasn't certain he'd be able to stop. Of course he did and you slid off of him once more onto the balcony. The beast caught glimpse of Viserys and let out a screech.

Viserys actually jumped back at that and you laughed softly. "He won't hurt you if you don't hurt me." Viserys looked at you in disbelief, making you roll your eyes. "Here," you said and took his hand in yours, "Let me show you." You cooed at the beast, who lowered his head. Then, you placed Viserys' hand on Vaelor's beak. He tried to jerk away, but you held him there. "He won't harm you," you assured him. Leaving his hand there, you moved yours to stroke the blue and black feathers of your pet. Vaelor preened at that and you laughed along with Viserys.

"They are proud creatures and protective. Once you have gained their trust, they are loyal to a fault." Viserys moved his hand to touch the feathers and found them extremely soft. "It seems Vaelor and your dragon are getting along splendidly. Before my evening ride, I found them sharing a meal. A sheep I think." Viserys acknowledged you with a hum. "Can this creature do anything besides fly? I mean, a dragon can breathe fire, but what can this beautiful creature do?"

You smirked. "Vaelor," you started and the bird turned his head to you, "Maghagon se jelmāzma." Vaelor ruffled his feathers then took to the sky, barely giving Viserys time to jerk his hand back. In a few moments, thunder began to sound, lightening flashed, and rains began to fall. Viserys stared up at the sky in disbelief. "Viserys, I have a confession to make."

He looked at you with an arched brow. "My father didn't send me. I wrote that letter. My father is long dead and I control our army. I needed to meet you first before deciding to form an alliance. Think about it...with your dragons and our thunderbirds, we could conquer the Seven Kingdoms from the sky and they would never see it coming. Together, we would be unstoppable."

Viserys didn't reply for several minutes. His eyes were taking in your suddenly shy form while his mind was processing what you had said. You were offering him a chance to get what he wanted. A chance to be the king he was meant to be. And you were right. With the dragons and thunderbirds, your two houses could conquer not only the Seven Kingdoms, but the rest of the world as well. Nothing could stop you. "Y/N, I do believe this is the beginning of wonderful alliance," he finally said and you smiled. "Good. Then my army is at your disposal," you declared before bowing before him, "Your Grace." Viserys could tell he was going to enjoy this, and your company, immensely.

*Maghagon se jelmāzma = bring the storm