Alliance (Eddard "Ned" Stark x fem!reader)

(WARNINGS: Mentions of death during childbirth.)

Ned stared at his best friend in disbelief. "No, Robert." Robert Baratheon arched a brow. "Ned..." Ned shook his head adamantly. Very rarely did Ned refuse a request from his friend, but in this case, the Stark refused to budge. "I won't do it, Robert. I can't betray Cat." Robert's stern gaze softened for a brief moment. "Catelyn's been gone for more than two years, Ned."

Catelyn Stark had died in while giving birth. Ned knew that, if he hadn't had to rule Winterfell, he would have become a mere shell of a man. And now, Robert was insisting that Ned marry again. To have a lady by his side to help raise the Stark children. But more importantly, Robert wanted an alliance formed between Winterfell and one of the smaller Northern houses. Ned wasn't ready for that.

"Do I have to make it an order from your king?" Robert asked and Ned closed his eyes. He should have seen that coming. It seemed as though he had no choice. "Alright, Robert. You win. You always win." Robert smiled, although there was very little joy behind it. "That's a good man. I shall have Lord Y/L/N bring his daughter around. She's a pretty little thing from what I understand." Ned fought the urge to mumble something. Instead he bowed his head and walked away to pray in the Godswood.

*time skip*

"Father, is it true?" Sansa asked Ned as the Stark family waited outside the castle for your carriage to arrive. "Is what true, Sansa?" All the Stark children glanced up at Ned. "Is it true the king wants you to marry?" Ned sighed heavily. He was worried about this. About his children would react. "It is." Robb, Jon, Sansa, and Arya all frowned slightly. Bran and Rickon were both much too young to understand what was happening.

"Will we have to call her 'mother'?" Arya asked and Ned smiled. "No, child. Not if you don't wish to." The sound of carriage wheels brought all conversation to a halt. Ned had to take a deep breath to steady himself. He wasn't certain he could do this. He felt like he was betraying Catelyn's memory.

The carriage pulled to a stop and Lord Y/L/N stepped out. "Lord Stark," he greeted with a bow of head. He offered his hand to help you out of the carriage. Ned almost breathed a sigh of relief when he saw you. He had expected a girl. A young one. But you were a bit more mature. You were older than most young ladies when they married, and you were older than Robb and Jon, which made Ned relax a little.

"Lord Stark," you said, your (e/c) eyes boring into him as you curtsied. There was a defiance there that Ned appreciated. At least he knew that he wasn't the only one unhappy in this situation. Sansa let out a sound of awe and Ned heard her whisper, "She's so pretty." Ned wanted to laugh at his daughter who had seemed determined not to like you before. "Children." Ned encouraged each of his children to greet you properly. Then, you all made your way inside to the warmth of the castle.

That night, you sat next to Ned and the older man couldn't remember the last time he felt so nervous. "Lord Stark, I would ask you to please relax," your soft voice came from next to him, as if you could feel his anxiety. "You are making me jumpy." Ned felt a little bit of tension leave his shoulders. Only a little though. "Forgive me if I find this situation somewhat tense," he commented.

"And I don't? Do you think I enjoy being forced to marry? There is a reason I have not married already, my lord. I am far too opinionated and free to be tamed by a husband, as my father wishes." Ned didn't reply, just stared at his ale, seeing his worn reflection on the surface. You sighed.

"I know you love your late lady wife and that I am a poor substitute. However, I will do my best to be a good wife to you. I will be here to advise you when you need it. To offer comfort where I can. To treat your children as my own flesh and blood. I will expect nothing of you except that you treat me with the respect I deserve."

When you finished, you took a sip of your wine, trying to calm your own nerves. There was silence between you to as the feast went on around you. You couldn't help but smile at the sight of Ned's children dancing and eating merrily. "Thank you, my lady," Ned whispered so quietly you barely heard him.

You turned your smile on him and nodded. "I think, considering the circumstances, you may call me by my name. We are meant to be in an alliance after all." Ned actually laughed at that, knowing that the two of you had come to an understanding. A mutual respect between you both. Perhaps, the two of you could become close friends in the situation you both found less than ideal. 

(a/n: Does anyone else have problems writing Ned being romantic with anyone but Cat? Is it just me? XD)