Convinced (Petyr Baelish x reader) Royal/Soulmate AU

(Thank you for being patient while I was out of commission! Being stuck in the hospital and then having to travel back and forth every day for over a week after I was discharged left no time for writing.)

Why was it necessary for you to have a king by your side? It didn't make sense. You were more than capable of ruling on your own. And yet, as next in line for the throne, you had no choice. You had spent many months trying to find a suitable king to no avail. That was where Lord Petyr Baelish came in.

You should have been wary the moment he came into the throne room and bowed before your father. You should have known he had something up his sleeve. After all, Petyr was known for his conniving ways. "Why are you here, Lord Baelish?" your father asked. Petyr gave him a smile that did not reach his eyes. "I have come with an offer of marriage to the heir to the throne." You wanted to roll your eyes.

"Have you? Well then perhaps you should spend time with Y/N and get to know one another." This time you did roll your eyes, but knew you had no choice but to agree. So, Petyr followed you around for the rest of the day. Come to find he was just as sneaky as you thought he'd be. He kept asking personal questions and trying to get information from you about your kingdom. Needless to say, you quickly ran out of patience.

"Alright, that is it. What do you want, Lord Baelish? And do not lie to me." Petyr gave you a calculated grin. "I want exactly what I told your father I wanted. Your hand in marriage." Your eyes narrowed at him. You knew that wasn't all he wanted. After all, the man had only met you once before. And you had heard rumors about him and how quickly he was willing to betray those he was allied with if a better offer came alone. Who was to say he wouldn't do the same to you?

"Why?" you snapped. Petyr's smile grew, but still didn't reach his green-grey eyes. "I assume it's because you want the throne. You want control of the kingdom as my husband," you guessed. Petyr shook his head. "No, Your Highness. I want everything. Complete power and control." You let out a snort of laughter. "Of course you do. And why should I choose you when I've turned everyone else away?"

"Because your father is desperate to marry you off. Because you know the kingdom will never bow to you without a king by your side. The whole kingdom knows that you have yet to meet your soulmate and they are gettin worried. They need security. Marry me and I can assure they have that. They will flourish under our rule."

You wanted to argue and fight against him. You really did. But he hit on the one thing he knew would get you to agree. Your loyalty to your people. Even throughout everything, the people of your kingdom came before anything else. Their survival, prosperity and happiness were the most important thing in your mind. That was why your father knew you'd be a good ruler, if the people accepted you as one. And Petyr was right. Without the security of marriage and potential heirs, they wouldn't feel you were doing the best for the kingdom.

You let your lips drop into a frown. Petyr gave you a look like a cat who had just caught his prey. "So, what do you say?" You sighed. "I don't believe I have a choice in this. However, I will be the one to tell my father. And there will be ground rules that we will cover after we've married." Petyr reluctantly agreed. You knew he was playing it smart. If he pissed you off, you could easily back out of your deal. Best to play it safe for now and you knew it. You clenched your hands into fists and ground out, "Fine. Let's get this over with."

*time skip*

The day of your wedding to Petyr arrived far more quickly than you ever thought possible and, while you weren't happy by any means, you were a little nervous as well. What if you weren't a good spouse? What if Petyr did end up betraying you in the end? You sighed. It was too late now. The entire kingdom was gathered in and around the castle waiting to see your marriage to Petyr. If you backed out now, your people would never follow you or accept you as their ruler.

"Y/N, are you ready?" Your father asked as he poked his head around your door. "Yes, Father. As ready as I'll ever be." He smiled. "Good. Shall we?" Without saying a word, you followed him from your room and toward the throne room where the ceremony would take place.

The doors opened and your gaze immediately went to Petyr. He wore his usual smirk, but there was something else sparkling in his eyes that you didn't recognize. You tried to ignore the stares of everyone in the room. They made you want to run as far as you could as quickly as possible. But you gathered up your nerve and did exactly what you knew you needed to do. You followed the aisle all the way up to Petyr and took your place next to him. You took your hand in yours and froze.

You felt it before you saw it. Your soul mark appearing. When soulmates touched for the first time, a mark appeared on their skin and you never knew what the mark would be. You fought to keep your eyes on Petyr. The look on his face told you that he felt it too. You chanced a glance down at your arm and saw a phrase. I want everything. You looked at Petyr's arm and saw the phrase Loyalty is everything. You looked back up at Petyr and the two of you just stared at one another. Did this change everything? Or would only make it easier for you to manipulate each other? One thing was for certain: you had found your soulmate and you weren't happy about it.

You barely registered finishing the ceremony. In fact, you were walking around in a haze until you were ushered into your now shared bedroom. For a moment, the two of you just stared at one another. Then, Petyr spoke. "Well this is an interesting turn of events." You scoffed loudly. "I need a drink," you grumbled. Petyr chuckled dryly. You glared at him and asked what was so funny.

"You certainly don't act like someone who has just met their soulmate, my dear." You rolled your eyes. "I was perfectly content not knowing who my soulmate was. What was the point when I was going to be forced into a loveless marriage? Knowing who my soulmate was would only complicate that," you explained without even looking at him.

"Then it stands to reason that you would be relieved that your soulmate is none other than the man you ended up being married to." You glared again. You hated how he had a way of twisting everything to make you believe your own thoughts were wrong. You hated how he manipulated your thoughts against you. And yet, there was something about him that was dangerous and drew you in. You detested it. You just wanted him to leave you alone. Unfortunately, you were now stuck with him.

"And what of you, husband? How does it feel knowing that the person you were planning to use for political gain is actually your soulmate?" Petyr chuckled lowly. "Fortuitous. You know how soulmates work, Y/N. No matter how much we may despise one another and use one another, we will always come back to each other because we cannot fight the pull we both feel. That is the way it has always been." You bit the inside of your cheek. Once again, he was correct.

You sat down and didn't say a word. You kept running your fingers over the words now etched on your skin. They were mocking you. He wanted everything and to you, loyalty was worth more than anything else in the world. How in the world were the two of you going to make this marriage work and still maintain your standards? You looked over at Petyr to find him staring at you. You sat locked in that staring contest for several minutes wondering what was going to happen next.