Singles Event (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader) Modern AU

(WARNINGS: mentions of drunkenness, one innuendo toward the end, slight fluff)

Sandor bit back a groan. Why had he let Beric and Arya convince him to show up at this singles event? He had no desire to meet anyone and he knew no one would want to even talk to him. He was scary-looking and completely out of place. He definitely didn't belong there. So, he did the only thing he could think to do. He grabbed a drink and sat in a dark corner of the bar. He was content to drink on his own until he could escape. What happened next would take him completely by surprise.

Sandor took a sip of his beer when someone sank into the seat across from him. He glanced at you in confusion for a second. Then he frowned. You weren't even really paying attention to him. Instead, you were glancing over your shoulder as if you were looking for someone. When you didn't see anything, you let out a sigh of relief.

You turned toward the man across from you and your breath caught in your throat. "Sorry for disturbing you," you muttered, "I just needed to get away from that guy. He's been hitting on me all night. Not exactly what I came here for. It was starting to creep me out," you explained, barely breathing between sentences. You watched Sandor's face as you spoke. His expression didn't change.

"Ya aren't here ta meet someone? Isn't that kind of the point?" he snapped and you laughed bitterly. "Believe me when I say, I'm not here by choice. And by the looks of it, neither are you." Sandor scoffed. "What makes ya say that?" You smiled a little. He was gruff, but he hadn't sent you running yet. He didn't seem all that dangerous either, despite the fact that he looked scary as hell.

"You're sitting by yourself in the dark, drinking alone instead of mingling like everyone else." Sandor smirked. You were observant. He had to give you that. "Yeah well, I don't like crowds." You nodded in understanding. "Not a fan either. My friends decided they were tired of me 'moping' around. Their words, not mine. What about you? Why are you here, other than drinking I mean?"

Sandor wasn't sure how to respond at first. He hadn't expect you to try and start a conversation with him. He took another swig of beer before answering, "My daughter convinced me. Said she's tired of me bein' unhappy. Only she used more colorful words." Your eyes widened in surprise. "You don't look old enough to have such an opinionated kid." Sandor nodded. "Adopted. Her parents are dead. I took her in." You let your lips curl into a smile. "You're a kind man..." you trailed off, hoping he'd supply you with a name. "Sandor. Sandor Clegane." He motioned for the waitress to bring you both a drink. "I'm Y/N."

After that, you and Sandor sat chatting for hours. You didn't notice the bar clearing out or that it had suddenly grown quiet. You were far too busy enjoying the conversation. You learned that Sandor was a police officer and that his daughter, Arya, was a high school student. It was the combined effort of Arya and Sandor's friend Beric that forced Sandor into going out. As the hours passed, you continued talking and the drinks kept coming. You were getting a little tipsy.

"You know, you are just like a puppy," you mumbled after a few drinks. Sandor just raised a brow. It took much more for him to be bothered by alcohol than it did you. After all, he was massive and you, well, weren't. None of your differences seemed to bother you though. You were just happy to find someone to talk to who wasn't looking to get in your pants. "A puppy?" You nodded and giggled. "Because you had big, sad puppy eyes when I sat down...well after you finished glaring at me, that is."

"Did I?" You assured him that he had. "You know what I think? I think your daughter is probably right. I think you might be just as lonely as I am. Maybe it's a good thing they forced us to come tonight. I would have missed out on meeting such a handsome man." Sandor slid your drink away from you. "I think you've had enough." You looked at him with a pout. "But-" Sandor shook his head and chuckled. "You're startin' ta slur your words and complimentin' me."

Your brows furrowed. You weren't drunk. Far from it, but you were still confused. "What do you mean? You are very handsome. And I've enjoyed talking to you." Sandor snorted. "'M not handsome, Y/N. My face is ruined." You rolled your eyes. "It is not." Sandor shook his head. He thought you'd definitely had too much to drink.

You glanced at the time. "But you're right. I've had enough. I need to go." You stood up and made your way to the door. "Where are ya goin'?" he asked. You glanced back at him. "To my car." Sandor got up and walked over to you. Only then did you realize how tall he really was. He towered over you more than anyone ever had before. "You're not drivin'. We'll call ya a cab. 'M in not state ta drive with ya in my car either."

You didn't argue. The effects of the alcohol were starting to get to you. So you just nodded and continued to stare at the man. "What?" You smiled up at him. "You're huge." Sandor snorted lightly before gently nudging your back as he called for the cab. You took a step and stumbled. You were more drunk than you realized.

Sandor scooped you up in his arms, causing you to sigh. "You're strong too. And you smell nice." You tucked your head into the crook of Sandor's neck. He felt his face heat up at the proximity. He wasn't used to being so close to a woman, especially one that didn't run away screaming. "I wonder if you're big everywhere," you muttered, nearly causing Sandor to drop you. He was just going to have to pretend he didn't hear that. You weren't thinking straight.

The cab showed up a few minutes later and Sandor carefully set you inside. "You should call me sometime, Sandor," you mumbled as he deposited you inside. "Don't have your number." You laughed again. "Yes you do. I programmed it into your phone when you went to the bathroom." You closed the door of the cab. The car drove off, leaving Sandor staring after you with a soft smile on his face.

He'd be lying if he said he wasn't happy about being forced out of the house now, but decided not to tell Arya. Not yet. He wanted to see if anything would come of this first. Who knows, maybe you were the reason he agreed to show up that night. One thing was for certain, he was definitely going to make use of your phone number. Starting now.

-I don't usually do this. I'm not a people person, but how about a date? Say next weekend?

After sending the message, Sandor called for another cab for himself. For a while, nothing came to his phone and he wondered if he had been reading you wrong. Maybe you really had had too much to drink and didn't know what you were saying. Or maybe you'd been put up to sitting with him all night. Sandor shook his head. That didn't seem right. Why would anyone agree to that? Before he could think on it further, his phone chimed.

-Took you long enough ;) I'd love to go out with you. Preferably without the drinks next time. I wouldn't want you to think I'm not serious. See you soon, Sandor. Goodnight.

Sandor couldn't fight the rare smile that graced his lips. He couldn't believe that he'd been lucky enough to meet anyone, let alone someone like you. You really seemed interested in him. That didn't happen to Sandor. People feared him. They didn't like him and they certainly never grew to love him. But maybe, just maybe, there could be a chance with you for something more than a mundane friendship. Maybe Sandor had been lucky enough to find the person he was meant to love.