A Duel (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader)

Sandor rode into Winterfell with a stern expression hidden under his dog-shaped helm. He didn't expect anything positive out of this trip, especially not after being on the road for a month. After all, Sandor didn't have any happy memories so far, why would they start happening now? That was before he met you.

You were in the practice yard when Sandor first saw you. The eldest Stark daughter. It was odd to see a lady with a sword in her hand. Even more so for the lady to know what she was doing with said sword. You were having a practice duel with your brother Robb and you were good. Very good.

"Come on, Robb!" you called out, catching Sandor and Joffrey's attention, "You can't go easy on me just because I'm a woman. Or are you afraid I'll hurt you?" Robb frowned and lunged. It seemed you knew exactly what to say to irk your brother enough to make him charge. You easily side-stepped Robb's attack and whacked him in the back with your practice sword hard enough to knock him in the dirt.

"You should know not to let your anger get the better of you, Robb. That's when you make mistakes." Sandor was secretly impressed at your knowledge. Joffrey was not. "This isn't a real duel. Not when you know every move your opponent could make. Dog!" Sandor tore his gaze away from you and your brother. "Get in there and show that upstart girl how a real duel is won."

"All due respect, my prince. I hardly think it's fair to set my sister up against a man so much bigger than she. I highly doubt Y/N will be fighting any real battles." You appreciated Robb trying to defend and protect you, but you gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "It's alright. I am certain the Hound won't really harm me." You smiled at Robb, who still looked wary, and then at Sandor who was taken back. "Well? You heard me, Dog. Get in there." With a grunt, Sandor entered the ring and grabbed up a practice sword.

"Don't hold back," you told him with a cheeky grin. Sandor was stunned for moment and almost missed your movements. He blocked your blow and the duel began. Sandor was surprised at how well you were able to keep up with him. You parried blow after a blow and attacked without fear of him. You were practically dancing in the ring, showing no signs of fatigue. If you were tired or in pain, you hid it well. The only sign you were even remotely effected were your panting breaths.

Actually, it was Sandor who started feeling the effects of the fight first. At least outwardly. It wasn't often someone could last against him as long as you had. Your eyes were full of a determined fire that Sandor found intriguing. It was impressive to him when not much else was.

You were finally beginning to feel the fight in your muscles when you heard the shrill voice of your mother. "Y/N STARK!" You flinched visibly. Sandor lowered his sword as you both glanced up to see your mother glaring at you both with a stern look. "Get inside this instant." You smiled sheepishly. "Yes, Mother." Your mother gave a curt nod and turned away.

Sandor was still looking up at where your mother had been standing when he felt the wooden sword being pressed against his neck. "I win," you whispered gleefully. Sandor glanced at you and saw the biggest smile on your face. "Never let anything distract you, Mr. Clegane. That's how you wind up dead." You lowered the sword, winked, and walked away, leaving Sandor to stare after you in disbelief.

Sandor didn't see you in the practice ring again the rest of his stay in Winterfell. He was certain your mother had given you an earful for it. It wasn't proper ladylike behavior for women to fight anyway. Still, Sandor had to admit that you'd started something in him that he never even dared to hope for. He wouldn't call it love. No, Sandor didn't love, but it was certainly an infatuation. An infatuation that would only grow as you journeyed with your father and sisters to King's Landing.

Throughout the journey, Sandor found it difficult to keep his eyes off you. When he was certain no one was looking, his gaze would wander over to you. He would watch as you rode your horse next to your father, as you would sit and eat with the other ladies, or as you would laugh at Arya's shenanigans. He was beginning to feel a bit creepy with how often he was staring, but you never gave any indication that you even noticed. Until one day.

King Robert had insisted on taking a short break from riding and Sandor took advantage of it. He found a spot under a tree to sit and sharpen his sword. He sat and relaxed for the first time in days. Joffrey was spending time with Sansa and his mother and that gave Sandor a chance to breath. "I notice, you know," a voice came from the other side of the tree, making Sandor jump slightly.

You came around the tree and glanced at the giant of a man. For a brief moment, Sandor merely stared at you as his mind processed what you'd said. "What do ya notice?" You grinned and replied, "I notice you staring." Sandor felt his face pale. "Don't worry. I don't think anyone else sees it. It'll be our little secret," you told him with a giggle. "I don't stare," Sandor muttered, averting his gaze. Another little laugh made its way to his ears. "Yes, you do and I'm flattered."

"Why should ya be flattered about this ruined face lookin' at ya?" You arched a brow. "Your face isn't ruined, Mr. Clegane. And I'm flattered that someone as strong, resilient, and handsome as you would give me the time of day for a reason other than getting into my bed." Sandor didn't reply. He couldn't believe you thought all those things about him. Finally, he looked at you again. "What are ya gonna do about it? Tell yer father?"

"As I said, it'll be our little secret. But feel free to stare all you want and, should you ever pluck up the courage to ride next to me and strike up conversation, I'll be happy to have your company, Mr. Clegane." Sandor couldn't think of a thing to say, so he simply nodded. "Good," you said and before Sandor realized what was happening, you leaned down and pressed a kiss to his bearded cheek. Then, you skipped away. Sandor glanced around and, after making sure no one had seen what had happened, proceeded to blush a deep crimson.