Stargazing (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader)

You'd always loved being outside. Ever since you were a little girl, you'd spent as much time outdoors as possible. During the day, you had climbed trees and watched the clouds roll by, sometimes dreaming you were floating with them. Then, when the sun set and the stars came out, you would sit for hours just gazing up at them, wishing you could fly around them.

As you grew up, you had to spend less time outside. You were too busy learning how to run the inn that your mother owned. Then, the fire happened. You lost the inn that night. You and your mother spent months traveling, camping out under the stars until your mother got sick. The fever took her from you and you were left all on your own, traveling in order to find a place to stay. A home. That was how you met Sandor. Seeing that you were alone, the giant man offered to travel with you, for protection. You had smiled and agreed whole heartedly.

Sandor was as good as his word. He protected you from the dangers in the wild and you offered quiet companionship. Over the time you traveled together, you got to know Sandor. You bonded over your wounds. His scarred face and your scarred arm, a token from the fire you'd pulled your mother from. You grew close to him and you enjoyed it, surprisingly. But what you enjoyed more was being under the stars every night with him.

Most nights, you stayed awake long after Sandor fell asleep, just so you could sit and look up at the stars. Memories of your childhood flooded your mind as you sat there. You never knew that Sandor would sometimes stay up as well, his gaze fixed on the sky above. He sometimes even thanked whatever gods there were for bringing you into his life.

One night, it had taken much longer than usual to find a place to camp. You still hadn't found somewhere by the time the sun sank low in the sky and the stars began to emerge. You stopped walking and looked up, mesmerized once more. "Sandor," you breathed, only barely loud enough for him to hear. He stopped moving and glanced back at you.

Your eyes were fixed on the sky, but Sandor knew exactly what you were looking at. "The days are getting shorter." Sandor grunted in response. That meant one thing. Winter. Soon, it would be too cold to travel. Sandor took a step closer to you and, without thinking, you slipped your hand into his larger one.

Sandor let his eyes drop to your intertwined hands for a moment. This was new to him. Granted, his entire relationship with you was new to him. He wasn't entirely certain what he was to you or you to him. Were you friends or something more? Deciding he didn't care, Sandor gave your hand a squeeze which you softly returned, never once looking away from the stars.

"Look!" you suddenly cried, using your free hand to point at the sky. Sandor looked up and saw what had you so excited. A falling star. He looked back to you and saw your face scrunched up. Your eyes were closed and your nose wiggled in a way that reminded Sandor of a rabbit. He chuckled at you. "What are ya doin', woman?" You shushed him.

"I'm making a wish." Sandor really wanted to scoff at you, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Despite everything you'd been through, you were still holding on to the hope of something better and Sandor refused to take that from you. He knew what it was like to feel hopeless. So, he let you make your wish, wondering what exactly you were wishing for.

He looked back up at the sky and let out a silent sigh. Sandor felt you move next to him, but didn't turn his head. At least not until he felt your hand on his shoulder. You used it to press yourself up and place a kiss to his cheek. Sandor felt like his face was on fire when looked at you. You smiled brightly at him. "Did you make a wish?" you asked him and he scoffed lightly. He bit back the sarcastic comment and refused to answer. You laughed and turned to walk away. Sandor followed after you, admitting in his mind that he hadn't needed to make a wish. His had already been granted.