No Idea What to Do (Sandor x reader) Modern/Single Parent/Accidental Text AU

From the first little sound, Sandor was hyper-aware of his daughter's potential to be sick. It was just a small cough, but she had never been sick before. Not in her entire six years of life. When the cough persisted, Sandor went into overprotective father mode. The problem was that he had no idea what to do in this situation. He was a single father with no experience with children until his daughter. So, he did the one thing he could think of. He texted Thoros. He was the closest thing Sandor had to a friend.

Thoros, Kari is coughing real bad. What the hells do I do?

Sandor waited for several minutes with no answer. He was getting anxious as Kari continued to cough and sneeze. Where was Thoros and why wasn't he answering? Sandor looked at his phone and realized that he typed in the wrong number. One number off. Sandor groaned loudly. Why had he trusted his memory instead of programming Thoros' number into his phone? Now wasn't the time for him to make such a mistake. Before he could correct it, his phone chimed.

I'm not Thoros, but maybe I could help? Does she have a fever? Is she throwing up? -Unknown

Sandor's brow furrowed. He certainly wasn't about to talk to a complete stranger about his daughter. As he was about to tell off the person on the other end of the phone, his phone went off again.

Sorry, I should have introduced myself. I'm Y/N. I'm a resident at the hospital in town. -Y/N

A sigh of relief left Sandor's mouth. At least he'd gotten some help. "Daddy? I don't feel so good." Kari walked over slowly and sat down in Sandor's lap. Sandor felt her forehead. She didn't feel hot. But not two seconds later, Kari lost the contents of her stomach. Kari's eyes instantly filled with tears. "I'm sorry, Daddy." Sandor bit back a sigh. "It's alright. Let's get ya cleaned up." Setting his phone down, Sandor took Kari to the bathroom, got them both cleaned up, and put her to bed. Once Kari was safely tucked in bed, Sandor returned to his phone to text his stranger about Kari's condition.

She doesn't have a fever for now, so I wouldn't worry too much unless she continues to throw up. Make sure she gets plenty of clear fluids and rest. If she gets a fever or continues to throw up, bring her in so one of us doctors can look her over. -Y/N

Sandor quickly thanked you and you responded by telling him you'd check in on Kari in the morning. He put his phone down, readied for bed and laid down. Since Kari had never been sick before, Sandor knew he was in for a long night of worry. He shook his head in near disgust. Before he had Kari, Sandor never would have worried about someone so much. Granted, he'd never loved anyone before Kari really either. Kari's mother had been a drunken one-night stand who had come back ten months later with Kari in her arms, saying she couldn't handle being a mother.

It didn't take long for Kari to wander into Sandor's bedroom, her favorite teddy bear in one hand and her little couch that unfolded into a bed in the other. "Daddy?" Sandor instantly softened. He knew what she wanted. Normally, he was against letting her sleep in the bedroom with him, but she was sick and it would be easier for Sandor to keep an eye on her. Without a word, Sandor gestured to the space next to the bed. Kari gave a weak smile and moved to the space. She laid down on the little bed and fell asleep. Sandor could only hope she slept through the night.

Sandor woke to his phone chiming. He slowly blinked his eyes open. It was still mostly dark outside. His eyes darted to Kari on the floor. She was sleeping peacefully. Sandor felt her forehead. No fever. Sandor sighed in relief. She hadn't thrown up again either. After stretching, Sandor reached for his phone.

Sorry it's so early. I'm getting ready for my shift at the hospital, but I wanted to check on Kari first. How's she doing? -Y/N

Seems to be better. Still no fever and no more throwing up. She's sleeping now.

Good! Just remember what I said. Lots of fluids and rest and she should be back to her normal self in a couple of days. -Y/N

Sandor put his phone down and got ready for the day. Your messages sat in the back of his mind, nagging him all day. Were you truly that kind? Kind enough to help a complete stranger who had no idea how to care for his own kid when she was sick? Or were you just doing your duty as a doctor and it was dumb luck on Sandor's part? He didn't know, but he was admittedly curious. Either way, Sandor would get his chance to meet you that day, when Kari woke up, sick to her stomach once again.

After Kari had been sick multiple times, Sandor ushered her into the car and drove to the hospital. He easily carried her inside in his muscular arms since she was feeling too weak to walk on her own. It honestly bothered him to see his daughter so sick. He approached the desk slowly, ignoring the people around who stared at the scarred side of his face. He was used to that by now. "Can I help you?" Sandor explained what was going on and the receptionist took care of what she needed to. Soon, a nurse called them back and ushered them into a room.

"Daddy, is the doctor going to be as nice as the nurse?" Kari asked once the nurse left after taking Kari's vitals. "Dunno. Probably," was all Sandor had time to say before the door opened again. "Hi. I'm Doctor Y/L/N." You smiled at the little girl and continued, "But you can call me Y/N if you'd like." Sandor's eyes widened. It was his stranger.

"I'm Kari," Kari introduced shyly. You glanced at Sandor for a second then began asking Kari questions. "So, I guess you were throwing up again this morning?" Kari's brows drew together, making you chuckle and turn to Sandor. "It's nice to meet you both in person. Now I know your name Kari, but what it your dad's name?" Kari told you. "I'm glad to you took my advice, Sandor. It seems like Kari has a little stomach bug, but it's not too bad."

"I don't have a bug in my stomach!" You and Sandor both laughed happily. "Nope. It just means your stomach is a little unhappy right now. But don't worry, I know how to make it better and I'm going to tell your dad so he can help too, okay?" The girl nodded happily and latched onto Sandor's arm.

You gave Sandor your attention. "I hope you got some sleep last night. I know a lot of parents who don't sleep when their kids are sick." Sandor shrugged. "Much as can be expected. Thank ya, by the way. For yer help. Ya didn't have ta help me." You rolled your eyes playfully. "Yes I did. And not only because I'm a doctor. But because you just seemed like you needed someone to help you stay calm. It's pretty obvious Kari doesn't get sick often, if at all."

"You're right. She doesn't. I had no idea what to do." You gave his shoulder a squeeze. "Look, you're doing a great job. I don't have any kids myself, but I know that being a parent is a tough job and you're doing great." Sandor stared blankly at you. He wasn't used to any kind of reassurance about anything, not even his parenting. Yet here you were, assuring him that everything was going to be fine and that he wasn't screwing up his kid. He met your eyes. They were full of warmth and sincerity. In a voice that was barely audible, Sandor whispered, "Thank ya."