Chapter 4

CARMELA THOMPSON

I nervously bit my lower lip as I thought of ways on how I should make it up to my boss. He humiliated me this morning, yes, but it was entirely my fault and l am not denying it. I slapped him first although he didn't do anything to me.

And then, I stupidly spilled coffee all over him and I have been bothered as hell thinking of how much damage it has done to his skin. I just hope it wasn't serious.

"What should I do?" I asked myself, my hands flying up in frustration.

Earlier, Cyrene came up and told me to take a break until everything's settled but it's been fifteen minutes now since she went to his office. I am starting to feel nervous. I think that it would be best if I just accept it, that I was not really made for this job, that I was born to work at a diner and earn coins to fill my stomach at least thrice a day.

Sighing deeply, I slumped on my chair and literally stood up immediately when I saw her making her way towards my desk. She smiled at me and somehow, that made me feel at ease.

But my eyes went big when she pulled me in a deathly hug.

"Ah... Can't... Breathe..." I managed to blurt out and I heard her chuckle. Miss Lopez let go of me after a few more squeezes.

"I'm so sorry. I'm just so happy." She said with a smile.

I laughed awkwardly and stepped back to give us some space.

"Miss Lopez, do I have to get my things now and leave?" I asked her with my head hanging low.

"No, you don't."

"I understand, I will... Wait..." I looked at her with wide eyes when I finally understood her words. I stared at her while she smiled at me.

"Wait, you mean," I was cut off when she nodded.

"Yes, you're staying."

I wasn't able to control myself and it was my turn to hug Miss Lopez.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I'm just, just very happy. Thank you!"

I screamed and controlled myself to not attack her and hug her to death once more.

"You're welcome. Now can we sit down and talk?"

I excitedly nodded at her as we both sat down. Miss Lopez sat across me and I can't help but feel a bit conscious just by looking at her.

She looks so sophisticated and professional. Just by her clothes, one can tell that she's probably one of the highest paid employees of this company or she can be from a wealthy family too. She looks somewhere around my age. She's sexy and tall, definitely a head turner.

"How deep should I swim now? You look like you're thinking too much." Miss Lopez asked me and I blushed.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Any ways, like I've said, you're staying, right?" I nodded.

"So that means, you will still work for Mr. Steele, but I'm telling you that it's not going to be easy."

"What do you mean?"

She sighed. "Because, he doesn't want you here, he doesn't want you yet."

She said giving me a knowing look but I didn't get it. Girls with their secret looks. I thought.

"If he doesn't want me here, how did you do it? And what do you mean by yet Miss Lopez?" She smiled weakly and reached for my hand that was on top of the table.

I felt weird at how friendly she is acting towards me but I am not complaining. Since the interview, it felt like I was talking to a sister that I never had.

"What I'm asking you in return of what I did for you to keep your job, is to longer your patience and keep up with him. He may be scary and strict but I know he'll soften sooner or later, just... Don't give up." She explained, she sounded like she's really meaning something else but I really don't get it.

"I promise. I won't you down Miss Lopez. I will do my best and make you proud. I won't waste this opportunity and I will not give up no matter how moody and scary he gets! I will stay positive and besides, I've learned some techniques on how to deal with..."

I leaned in closer to Miss Lopez and looked from left to right, trying to check for some intruders of our conversation. Feeling satisfied, I said, "A bad ass CEO because I've read a lot of novels before."

Miss Lopez laughed.

"You are something dear, now I have to go and you can start working, okay?" She said once her laughter died down.

She nodded her head and gave me a smile. She got up from her seat and bid me goodbye. I watched as Miss Lopez walked towards the elevator and waved her goodbye as well until the door closed.

Finally, it was time to apologize to my boss and as weird as it may sound, my heart started to race, butterflies filled my stomach and a deep blush crept onto my cheeks at the thought of seeing my boss.

"What the hell, Carmela?" I asked myself in a hushed tone.

I can't believe that I am feeling this way towards my short tempered boss. I can't be seriously attracted to him. Not when I met him just this morning.

Shaking my head off, I composed myself and made my way towards his office. I breathed in a couple of times and when I was about to knock, a voice boomed through the hallways leaving my hand raised up in the air.

"What do you want?" His voice sounded deep and cold. I turned around and there I saw my boss looking at me intently, with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"What do you want?" He asked once more, emphasizing each word with his eyebrows raised.

I pouted and swallowed the nervousness that appeared just by hearing his voice. His eyes followed my movement and when his eyes flickered back at me, I saw something. I am not sure what it was but it kind of looked like his eye color has changed, like from brown and gray, it has changed into a darker shade.

"Are you deaf or mute?" I could sense irritation from the way he said those words and I immediately came back to my senses.

Pushing my right hand towards him, I said, " I'm sorry for what happened earlier, Mr. Steele, and I'm sorry I spilled the coffee on you. Here's an ointment, this should help you with the burn." I finished while looking down the floor.

I was glad I brought my aiding kit with me. I always make sure I have it with me since I know how much accidents are clinging onto me like a magnet.

"I don't need it." He said then walked pass me but I was quick to stop him. I reached for his arm and he stopped, he tensed.

"But, your burn might be serious, Mr. Steele."

I said in a low tone, letting go of him at the same time.

"I said I don't need it. Now don't bother me and go to work before I change my mind and kick you out of my company."

I backed away from him and watched him disappear behind the door, not caring that he literally slammed the door on my face.

"Rich people and their short temper."

I told myself and put the ointment inside my bag when I returned to my table.

I sighed after giving his door a final glance. When I scanned my table, I sat down realizing that I have nothing to do yet.

Thinking how things are right now, I think that Miss Lopez might be right, working for Cyrus Steele is going to be a very difficult job for me, with his short temper, I should be geared up with patience and it has to be kilometres long.

"It's going to be worth it, Carmela. Let's hope it will." I chastised to myself with my fingers crossed and just like that, a positive smile bloomed on my face.

All I have to do is to follow orders and smile at him no matter what.