Chapter 24

CARMELA THOMPSON

"Don't be scared." He whispered lowly.

I ignored how his lips brought shivers down my spine as it grazed my ear or at how warm I felt standing next to him. I just sighed deeply and focused on my thoughts.

Tristan didn't see us as he marched his way inside the company as Cyrus dragged me behind the bushes just in front of his building. I watched as he disappeared through the glass doors.

"What happened?" I looked up to Cyrus and noticed the proximity of our closeness.

My heart skipped a beat and I immediately distanced myself from my him. His eyes then showed sadness but he was quick enough to conceal it with seriousness.

"Nothing." Finally, I was able to say a word.

He raised his eyebrow at me, telling me he does not believe me but I won't tell him anything. He doesn't need to know about what's happening. I am here because I am his secretary, I don't want to burden him with any of my issues.

"Really? Then why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" He said trying to get the answers to his question.

"Mr. Steele..."

"Cyrus. Call me Cyrus." I looked at him with confusion.

Why would he ask me to call him by his first name? He is my boss and it is only proper to address him like how all of his employees do.

I cleared my throat. "Sir, I'm sorry if I bothered you but with regard to what happened awhile ago, I just felt dizzy, I lost my balance..."

"And I caught you. I will always catch you if you fall." He said sincerely.

I can't help but blush, or feel my heart dance with joy. I do not have any idea as to why he is acting this way. He is obviously confessing something but I don't want to trust his words, he might be bored or something and he is just looking for someone that he can play with.

"With all due respect sir, it's getting late. I think I should head inside." I told him and decided to turn around before he can say anything else.

I walked or should I say, almost ran my way inside the building just so he wouldn't be able to keep up with me but with his long legs, it would be impossible. I also know he is right behind me because of the looks of the other employees. Their eyes would go wide before they would snap out of it and greet our boss properly.

"There's no need to rush, Miss Thompson." He spoke in a teasing tone.

Without sparing him a glance, I said, "I have never been late Mr. Steele, and today is not an exception." And walked faster.

I heard him chuckle and that angered me. Without thinking twice, I turned on my heel and came face to face with a shocking Cyrus.

I glared at him and he just smiled after a few seconds. I mentally screamed out my frustration and just decided to just let it go rather than argue with him.

I didn't mind the dirty looks that I keep getting as I made my way to the elevator. When it snapped open, I sighed and squeezed myself in with the other employees. I was having a hard time getting in and to my surprise, a strong arm was wrapped around my shoulder as I was pulled closer to a strong chest.

I looked up to find Cyrus looking ahead of us. Everyone bowed their heads as they made way for him to get in with me walking like a human jelly.

No one dared to speak. The silence is deafening that I got scared everyone would hear the loud beating of my heart. He didn't remove his arm on my shoulder and I stayed glued next to him as more people got in for every time we stopped at each floor.