Chapter 13

CARMELA THOMPSON

I don't know what type of bad evil spirit got into me when I just let Cyrus drag me outside the mansion without talking to Tristan and now, I'm sitting at the passenger's seat, inside his car, trying to process everything that had happened at the party. But this isn't the first time I let him drag me to some place which is weird or may be, I am just so dumb to even say no,

"Where are we going?"

"Took you long enough to ask." Was his answer. I felt embarrassed but I didn't want him to know that I feel stupid for not asking him the moment he started driving.

I mean, who in their right minds would just sit down inside a car with a man she barely knows and let him take her to wherever he wants, right?

You, idiot. Yeah, me. But to my defense, everything happened so fast. I didn't even get to recover yet from the kiss that we shared when he pushed me inside his car.

"I... I thought you were taking me home." I said in a low tone. He sighed to himself and I just clutched onto my seatbelt.

We've been hitting the road for the past 25 minutes and when I realized that we're not in the city anymore, that's when my memories kicked in. This happened before when he brought me into the woods.

I felt my heart tightening at the memory, where he told me that the kiss was a mistake. But what about the second kiss? Was it also a mistake? I wanted to ask him that, but I don't know how and I am scared that he might say yes, that the kiss shouldn't have happened just like the first one so I just shut my mouth.

"I am taking you home." He said and my eyebrows furrowed. I turned to look at him but his eyes are fixed on the road.

"But this isn't the way to my house Mr. Steele." I told him. He once brought me home so I assume he knows that he's not on the right track.

"Mr. Steele, I said, this isn't the way..."

"I heard you the first time and I know that. I'm taking you to my house." And I felt my heart beat--fast and wild.

My eyes bulged, mouth agape and I can't imagine how ridiculous I look right now but did I hear him right? Why is he taking me to his house?

"But...But, why are..."

"You should rest, Carmela, we won't be there until midnight so use this time to sleep." He said. I shivered at the mention of my name.

The way my name rolled off his tongue sent my stomach in the zoo and darn these butterflies swarming in joy. I love how delicately he mentioned my name. I don't remember how many times he called me by my name and but I can't help but feel these sparks again.

"I..."

"Sleep, please." He said as he threw me a sideway glance. My breath hitched. I could feel my head nodding at him, like an obedient puppy to his owner.

I swallowed audibly and I leaned my head on my seat and he's right, I do need to rest. After how many sleepless nights I've been through because of him, this would be a perfect nap.

I'm not really bothered by the idea that he's taking me to his house. Although I should strongly object but I have this feeling that nothing bad is going to happen. That I am safe with my boss. That no harm would ever come across me for as long as I am with him. It may sound crazy but it is true. It's like I'm putting my life in his hands and I have a feeling that he's going to protect me no matter what. With a comfortable sigh, I let sleep consume me.

***

I stirred on my bed when I felt someone looking at me. It must be Ashton so I just turned to my right and I felt my head banging against a wall or something.