Chapter IX.

.Age 14.

The night was long and sleep was impossible to obtain. I was laying in my bed all night as those images played over and over in my head. He said he loves my Mom but would do that to her. Drunk or not. What breaks my heart is that my Mom loves him so much and all I want is for her to be happy, then he does this. I had just started to warm up to him, Maybe even trust him, Then he does this. I have no idea what she is going to do today, it's 8am and her friend Myka and her two kids are supposed to come over today. Will she bail Jessie out of jail? Will she cancel with Myka? Am I going to get in trouble for calling the police? So many questions run through my mind but all I can feel is hatred for the man who nearly took my Mom away from Alex and I.

When I got out of bed I walked into the kitchen to see my Mom doing the dishes. Her shirt was loose and low cut a nice purple color with her navy green capris. A bruise wrapped around her neck, I had to look away. I can't imagine how painful it is. It wasn't as deep last night.

"Is Myka still coming over?" I asked

"Yeah why?" She says her voice horse.

"Was just wondering."

"I talked to her earlier and she said she will go with me to pick Jessie up." She says turning the faucet off and drying her hands.

"You're bailing him out?" I blurted.

"Yes, him and I need to talk about things but I think we will be okay." She says turning to me.

I have never been so angry in my life. Why would she bail him out? Does she not remember what happened last night?

Nevertheless. I won't be forgiving him anytime soon...I may never.

Two hours later a knock at the door sounds through the house and the dogs began to bark. Myka walked in giving my Mom and long hug. Her hair was long and brown, she was a slender woman who had brown eyes and glasses. Her two children walked in. They looked so similar that I swore they were twins. The oldest was 11 and the youngest was 7 or 8. Very skinny boys and long faces. Blue eyes on both.

Not even a hour later they all left to bail out Jessie. And Alex and I sat on the couch to watch T.V which rarely happens. We were watching some cheesy Disney Channel show that my sister loves when they arrived.

They all walked in the house, Mom and Myka went into the kitchen with Mykas two boys, and Jessie came into the living room. He didn't say anything. Alex heard them pull up and ran into her room before they walked in. I am assuming she was scared. I couldn't blame her.

Jessie said nothing. No I'm sorry, No how are you. Nothing about last night. He just sat on the opposite side of the couch and began watching T.V with me. This was very unnatural. The reason I barely watch T.V is because when he comes home from work, and I or Alex are watching a show; he grabs the remote from us and changes the channel not saying anything. When I ask him why he does that he just says that 'I work all day you guys don't.'

I am not going to just sit here with him. If this is his form of apologizing it's a shitty way of going about it. Be a man, You are a step father now, taking responsibility for your actions scares you? Get rid of the responsibilities and let my Mom divorce you. I left the remote where it was and stood up and walked to my room slamming the door behind me never looking back to see if he wa following me. I didn't say a word.

I hope it hurt his feelings, doubtful but hopeful. I can't look at him without having flashbacks to last night. The navy blue shirt I was wearing felt tighter and tighter around my neck to the point where it was hard to breathe. I ripped my shirt off and throw on a peach one that was much more loose.