Chapter 1 • Pretty Girl

____________________________________

         Ryann' glanced at her watch for what seemed like the hundredth time that day

Ryann' glanced at her watch for what seemed like the hundredth time that day. Only ten minutes remained until her shift was over - and she impatiently sat through that time as if she hadn't already been there for 9 hours and the last few moments were killing her.

"Did you finish that paperwork I sent to your email?"

Strolling out of her back office, Mrs. Diane entered the lobby of the apartment leasing office. Ryann' didn't bother to look up from her phone,
"Yup. I sent it over and cc'ed the property manager".

"Alright now" Mrs. Diane breathed heavily, before turning her large figure around to head back to her office, "I need you to come in early tomorrow too. This damn knee of mine is hurting, I ain't gonna make it in".

Ryann' rolled her eyes. If It wasn't one thing, it was sure enough another.

Her job at Moore Management was not ideal to say the least. It was $11 an hour with guaranteed hours - so it paid the little bills that Ryann' had at the time. However, her micromanager of a boss caused more drama then was needed.

It was already bad enough that the conditions of the apartment complex was crumbling, leaving her to deal with disgruntled tenants on the daily.

Mrs. Diane didn't care though, she was nasty to most people she came into contact with and that's why their online ratings were so low.

"I'll see what I can do" Ryann' half promised her boss as she rose from her chair and dashed out the door. 6 o clock couldn't have come fast enough.

The bitter winter weather met Ryann' at the door. The sun had already set, and the once bright sky was cascading into a navy blue hue. She hated the winter. If it wasn't for her being born in the winter, she would have never anticipated it each year.

Her iPhone lit up with a loud ding, letting her know that her lyft would be pulling up any minute. She held her scarf up to her mouth as she attempted to keep the cold air out of her face.