Chapter 3 • Classmates

"Ryann Saunders" the professor called from the front of the class.

"Here" Ryann answered.

It was the third day of the semester, and she was already tired of school.

"Bitch, this old nigga been doing this attendance for 20 minutes" Naj whispered in her friends direction.
The two had picked up a few classes together that semester since they were in the same major.

"Yes girl and I'm hungry as shit. Right after this, I'm going to the cafe" Ryann whispered back.

The hour and a half class was just starting and something Told Ryann the professor's slow talking would only make it worst.

"Ayanna Richards" he called out next, "Ayanna Ric~~"

"Here, sorry I'm late"

The class's eyes shifted as the brown skin girl came tumbling in late.

"You have to be fucking kidding me" Ryann whispered, tapping her best friend.

It was unbelievable. It was like she couldn't get away from Ava if she wanted to. It had been a few days since their run in at the movies, and here came the female she was accompanied with that night right in front of Ryann's eyes. It was like God was permanently torturing her.

"What?" Naj asked in a hushed tone.

Seeing their professor starting to look over, she decided to save her convo.

Instead, she texted her best friend what she really wanted to say.

Naj eyes widened as she gave her best friend a shocked look. She had told her all about her fraudulent one night stand, and Naj wasn't surprised. Neither niggas or bitches were shit! Hell, she didn't trust anybody.

It's safe to say Ryann spent most of the class checking out the mysterious girl. Her last class couldn't of ended fast enough when she seen the clock strike 3:30pm.

"You still want to go to the cafe, or go eat somewhere else" her best friend asked, placing her binder in her hands.

"Yeah, lets go get some Sushi"

All of a sudden she just didn't want to be on campus anymore.

The friends exited the classroom and made their way out of the left wing building.

"Girl, that shit is crazy" Naj commented on the Ava situation, "it's like fate keep bringing y'all together".
"Bitch, that shit is not fate, it's karma. That's what I get for doin shit I ain't have business doing"

The two were at a small sushi spot in China town and were taking their seat at the booth.

Ryann immediately began to read the menu.

"You had fun, you just got burned in the process boo" Naj laughed.

Ryann rolled her eyes playfully and put up her middle finger.

The two laughed over sushi and drinks for about a hour and a half, until they were ready to go. The two would keke all night if they could, the best friends bantering back and forth talking about any and everything.

The two met a few years prior when Ryann moved from Houston to take on college in a different city. Now juniors in college, the two had built a solid friendship and confided in one another. Ryann wasn't really close to her small family, so having a best friend to talk to kept her content. Naj was different from any other friend Ryann ever had, and Naj could say the same.

The two caught the sub home and hopped off at North philly station. Coming up from underground, she began to hear her phone ring in her bag. She grabbed it and quickly answered.

"Hello?" She answered, not having any idea who she was talking to.

"Wassup pretty girl, it's Vee"

Ryann rolled her eyes. She couldn't front and say she wasn't happy that she had called, but she was still feeling salty.

"Mhhh. What's up?"

Vee laughed, "I see your going to act like you're not happy to hear from me".

"Girl bye" Ryann looked at her phone as if she could see Ava threw the call screen, "what can I do you for. Where's your girl friend?".

At this time, Naj was tuned into the convo being nosey.

"What I tell you about that?" Ava playfully snapped, "If I had a girl, why would I be calling you tryna see you .... tonight maybe?".

Ryann didn't answer for a moment.

"And do what? A movie?" She finally retorted.

"Wherever" Ava replied.

Ryann was upset with her and wanted answers but she couldn't hold out like she wanted to. Besides, if Ava was single - she did have the right to date whoever she wanted. But Ryann wasn't going to be no side chick. She hadn't even sorted out her feelings for Ava, this was her first time ever being attracted let alone crushing on a woman.

Especially a woman of Ava's caliber. She clearly knew how to get what she wanted and looked good while doing it.

"Fine. I'll text you my address" Ryann agreed.
Ava assured her she would be there within the next hour or so and the two ended the call.

"Girl. You about to go let that girl fuck you again knowing her bitch in our class. I hope she don't wind up in one of our group projects" Naj joked once her friend got off the phone.

"I know you think I'm crazy" Ryann dug her head in her palms laughing.

"No bitch, I think you're pressed"

The two doubled over in laughter as they continued to walk down Broad st towards their home.