Chapter 9 • New Money

A few weeks passed and finals week was too around the corner

A few weeks passed and finals week was too around the corner. Ryann had requested off a few days in advance from work, so she could study to end the semester strong. Her GPA was a 3.3, and she was aiming to end with a 3.5 for the school year.

No matter how much she partied and worked, she maintained a good head on her shoulders when it came to school.

She knew the typical 9-5 wasn't for her, because the life she wanted to live exceeded living pay check to pay check. Although there were jobs that paid well, she knew one day she wanted to run her own business.

"You wanted to see me?" Ryann asked, opening up Mrs. Diane's office door.

Mrs. Diane turned away from her monitors screen, where she watched tenants come in and out of the buildings.

"Yeah, I need you to sign this"

Mrs. Diane didn't beat around the bush. She pulled out a final write up slip out of her desk and handed it over to Ryann.

Ryann read over the pink slip, seeing as it listed her for three no call, no shows.

"What are you talking about?" Ryann rolled her eyes, flinging the paper back onto the desk.

"You didn't come in from the first to the third, and you were on the schedule I believe".

"I requested off a month ago, I sent you the email and you replied ok".

Ryann knew for sure she sent over the email confirming her time off. But that didn't matter. Mrs. Diane barely admitted to when she was wrong. She was a nasty old lady who was unorganized, untidy, but swore she knew no wrong. Multiple complaints had been sent to the management company about her, but nothing ever seemed to get done.

Ryann wasn't surprised she had misplaced her request off sheet, since she had misplace tenants rent and accused them as being late. Even when Ryann and Rose had confirmation their checks were dropped off. Still, she was never wrong.

"I don't remember that" Mrs. Diane lied.

"Well I'm not signing it" Ryann refused, "you know damn I requested off. I'm reporting you, cause I'm sick of this shit!"

Despite being late here and there, Ryann came in to work whenever Mrs. Diane asked and even stayed late. She needed the money, so she didn't mind unless she had school work.

Other than that, she got the job done. If it hadn't been for Ryann, the office wouldn't accomplish anything for the crumbling apartment complex.

"You report me, you'll have one day a week lil girl. Besides, you're always late any damn way" Mrs. Diane was adamant.

Ryann refused to sign the papers. If she did, it would mean that one more lateness would warrant in an immediate termination.

She needed time to find a new job before leaving the leasing company. But time was not on her side. However, Mrs.Diane threatened to knock her down to one day a week, and she was currently working 5.
Either way, she was s.o.l.