Chapter 31 • All Falls Apart

"My beautiful boy"

"My beautiful boy"

Missy smiled as she brushed Alan's hair back with a soft baby brush, his conscience still drifted away as his body laid sleeping.

Ryann held her brother's hand into hers, watching him anxiously as if he'd wake up any minute.

A week had passed, and while his breathing was strong Alan had failed to awaken another day. It was as if he was drifting off into his own world; That's what Ryann told herself to make the situation seem a little more bearable.

Ryann's mother had flown down to Philly as soon as she could to see her son, and just as Ryann, she broke down at the sight of her sweet boy laid up in the hospital bed.

"Why can't the doctors find out what's wrong" Ryann stressed, "it has to be something that can wake him up"

"The doctors have done all they can do. It's up to God and your brother now" Missy said, continuing to brush his hair.

Ryann had been hearing that all week, but it had given her no closure. She couldn't imagine just waiting around everyday until Alan or God decided to wake him up.

It had to be something else, she told herself. However there wasn't. Defeated, Ryann couldn't remember the last time she had prayed so much, begging God to have mercy on him.

Santana suddenly sauntered into the hospital room, two bouquet of roses in each hand.

"For the ladies" he said, passing both Ryann and her mother flowers in efforts to cheer them up.

Knowing it wasn't much he could do, Santana tried to keep them in good spirits - especially Ryann, who had pushed her pregnancy to the back of her head. He also knew that she was still in her early trimester and worried her stress would effect her, but prayed to be wrong.

"Thank you, baby" Ryann smiled, placing them to the side.

"Yes, Thank you Santana" Missy sniffed hers, "however I think Alan likes tulips"

Santana chuckled, "how is my lil bro?"

"The doctors said he's still healing fine" Ryann said sadly, her eyes still locked on him, "but, he won't wake up"

Santana planted a kiss on her forehead, next pushing her natural hair out of her face.

"He will... come take a walk with me to the cafeteria"

Knowing that meant he wanted to speak alone, Ryann raised from her seat, next telling her mother she would be right back. The two had been spending more time together than they had in years, putting aside their differences for the sake of Alan.

"What is it?" She asked, exiting the hospital room.

"I found out where Key is hiding out" Santana told her, "I'm sending somebody to the spot to talk to her right now"