Chapter 13 • Feelings in July

Fourth of July had finally arrived

Fourth of July had finally arrived. It was one of the biggest summer holidays - as many attended cookouts, parties and to watch the fire works at penns landing. Every year the Ventura's had a huge family cookout in the Belmont park, and this year it was no different.

Big V, their father took over the grill while his wife entertained their huge family - from aunts and uncles to distant cousins. Ava and her brothers all surrounded a picnic table, along with Ryann and Naj as they sat around eating, drinking and playing card games.

"I swear, these niggas love getting their money taken" Reco laughed, gathering up his winnings.

"Nigga this the first round you won" Ava rolled her eyes.

Her brother Kyree joined in, "exactly, let's play for some real bread Patna"

"Now we're talking" Kane smirked, already counting his betting money.

"You kids have nothing else better to do with your money huh? Just like your father" Sonja, their mother said as she swayed over to their table.

Kane laughed, "Its all fun ma, this is pocket change"

"Mhh hmm, you need to be saving every penny for my grand baby" Sonja smiled, as she began to rub on Naj's belly.

While three of her kids already had children, she was especially excited to see her baby boy Kane extending his legacy. He was always her troubled little baby, but seeing him mature put a special spot in a mother's heart.

Not to mention he couldn't have picked a better mother for his child - as far as she could tell. The moment she met Naj the two clicked, making her even more excited to welcome her surprise of a grandson.

He was truly going to be a blessing.

"Trust me, my lil man is going to be straight. Right after I win this bread from his aunt and uncles"

The table laughed as he began to draw the cards for the next game. They were all enjoying each other's company, but Ryann knew she would be leaving once night fell.

This was Alan's last night after his artist's performance; And although it was going to be at Santana's club, Ryann wouldn't miss the opportunity to see her brother once more before who knew whenever else.

Since Ava and her brothers had plans, she assured Ryann she could take on separate plans to go see brother.

Ryann didn't talk about family much, so Ava had no problem giving her time with the only connection she had of back home.

Since Naj would be going with Kane, Ryann invited Lay Lay and another friend of hers out for the night. Santana's lounge was packed, everybody who was anybody waiting in line to get into the exclusive place.

Santana had multiple upcoming rappers performing at the event, who was destined to bring a big crowd of supporters and family members. By the looks of things, only a lucky few would be getting in.