Chapter 17 • New life

"Kane Josiah Ventura Jr" Naj smiled, as she stroked her baby's hair out of his face

He was perfect. At 6 pounds 7 ounces, with dark blue eyes. His features were fresh, but Naj could already tell he looked just like Kane - he was alert with his eyes widened.

"Here, hold him" she motioned for Kane to pick him up.

Kane didn't hesitate to put his baby boy in his arms, although he was nervous. He spent the last nine months wondering what it would be like to see his son for the first time, and he was finally here. He was silent, and smiling - as if he had been here before.

"Hey man" Kane cooed.

Naj watched as for the next few minutes Kane seemed in awe with his son, and that alone made her happy she decided to stick it through with her pregnancy.

Life itself was going to change drastically for her but she was at peace with that finally.

After spending a little alone time with their son, the couple allowed waiting family and friends to come meet the new bundle of joy.

"He looks just like Kane as a baby" Sonja gazed into her grandsons eyes as she rocked him back and forth.

"And they *both* get their good looks from me, ya'll feel me?" Big V joked.

Sonja laughed along with everyone else, rolling her eyes at her husband.

The room was filled with love. Naj was grateful to have both her and Kane's family so excited for their son - as family members showed up throughout the day to show their love and bring gifts. Their hospital room was over flowing to the point Kane had to start taking flowers and balloons to the car due to the space they began to take up. Naj was relieved when visiting hours were over. Kane decided to take one last trip back to the house to drop off some gifts, leaving Ryann and Naj alone.

"Girl, I am so proud of you" Ryann confessed to her best friend, "you pushed out a whole baby sis. Not even that, your growth is beautiful".

Naj smiled gratefully.

"Bitch, trust me - this is all Kane. He makes me happy and ion be wanting to fuck that up with my attitude. You can turn a nigga off real quick" She half joked.

"That's true" Ryann laughed, "But he loves you unconditionally. You can tell"

"Yeah...." Naj nodded, "I looked at you the same way when you were with Ava. But we see how that turned out"

"Girl, don't compare us to y'all. Or anybody for that matter. What's for you.. is for you" Ryann assured her best friend

To tell the truth, she had no idea what would transpire for her best friend. But that was life period. She wanted to tell her that the butterflies she was feeling currently would always be there and her nigga would come home every night - but only time and Kane could show truth.