Chapter 42 • Times Up

Key sat tied up in the cold basement for what seemed like eternity, although in real time it had only been a day

Key sat tied up in the cold basement for what seemed like eternity, although in real time it had only been a day. She was sweating from anxiety, while her arms were covered in chili bumps from the cold breeze that seemed to take over the room. Her eyes had adjusted to the dark, and she cried as she asked herself how did she get in this situation, again.

She prayed to God that if he spared her once more, she swore she wouldn't mess with a drug dealer ever again. However, it seemed as though her cries had fallen on deaf ears and she had been all out of favors from up above.

She had prayed the same exact prayer when NDO captured her, just to let her go so she could deliver their message, and she had gone right back to doing wrong. She swore up and down she was done fucking anyone involved in the ongoing war, including Devose.

After meeting her one day when she was grabbing from Chino, Devose made it a point to get the young stallion on his team. She didn't find anything cute about him, but the first thing he did was flash his money, and she was all ears. From there, the two had been fucking whenever his baby mom and kids were away at work and school.

Everything was cool, until he came to her with a proposition. He knew that his cousin was into music artists, so he told her to reach out for work, just to keep tabs on him. He knew Santana was falling off due to his new interest in a shawty that was making him money, so he finally wanted to make a move of his own and take him out while it was easy. Or at least it seemed that way.

Despite his absence, Santana had crazy respect in North, more respect than Devose would ever have.

The war had gone on longer than Devose expected, a war that wouldn't of went down if the young VC niggas he paid to kill Santana had succeeded.

However once that plan had failed, he realized he opened a can of worms that he just couldn't control.
Months later, Key was paying for everything Devose put in motion.

Hearing the basement door open and then shut, Key's eyes began to roam frantically as she tried to identify the person coming down.

The NDO niggas had beaten her to a pulp not too long ago, and she was just now fully healing. VC hadn't touched her, only tying her up and asking her a couple questions about Devose.

She lied and told them she didn't know anything, and instead of beating her they just left her alone to her silent thoughts to think on it.

Kyree told her maybe she would remember if she had a little quiet time. She knew that they weren't as violent as Santana's squad, who shot first and asked questions later.

But she wasn't stupid, as soon as Kane got tired of playing nice he would make that call.

"You have enough silence yet?" Chino asked, flicking the basement light on.

Key squinted her eyes at the bright light. Chino just shook his head at the sight in front of him. He could tell Key was dehydrated by her dry lips, and her eyes were blood shot red as if she hadn't slept one bit.