The Crumbly Overview

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Pushed up against the wall, there was a cheap, chipped wooden desk. An old coffee maker with off-brand coffee and coffee filters was shoved into the corner of the wall and television stand, which was just as beaten up. A lamp, with holes in the lampshade, stood on the other back corner of the desk, and it had a metal chain that one had to pull on to turn it on. In the center of it all was a laptop and papers with notes on them. Two rickety chairs supported two individuals. One was hunched over the papers and had his knuckles pressed into his left cheek while the other was sitting back and had her fingers holding onto one of the papers delicately.

"Do you really think that we're dealing with a ghost, Nick?" Deidre questioned as she swept her long black braid back so that it would rest over her back and the chair's backing. Her brown optics scanned over paper in her hands more, which were details on the abandoned road and subway. They all had visited the town archives when they first had arrived yesterday early evening. Apparently, the road was built before the subway and was the main road when Delain had been frequented more back in the nineteen-thirties. The subway system had been installed around nineteen-thirty-five and had connected Delain to major cities in the surrounding area. In the nineteen-eighties, though, few had traveled on the subway to Delain, and it had been considered not profitable enough, so it had been shut down. With time, people had stopped using the old road and a new smaller one, which also was more convenient for the town, had been built.

"I'm not sure. If it is, it's a powerful one. I've never encountered a ghost that can place people into a trance, and I'm glad that I haven't. They're already tricky enough. And if it's putting people into trances, we need to try and guess the motive too. If we're lucky, we can have the spirit move on, but it also depends on how cooperative and violent it is." He sat up and leaned back on the chair, it creaking in the process. His left fingers combed through his dyed pitched black locks. "Or, it could be something else entirely."

"So, you really think that the writer was telling the truth, then?"

"I do." Nick crossed his arms over his chest. "I wanted to come out here and speak to him in person to be sure, and after our meeting last night, I'm sure that he wasn't lying. Even if it wasn't a ghost, he saw something." He leaned his head back a little and stretched his neck. "Now, it's a matter of how dangerous it is." When he positioned his head back to the way it had been, his right index finger tapped the blueprint of the subway system. "This place is massive, and we have a lot of territory to cover if we decided to enter."

"Will you be alright?" she questioned, setting down the paper in her hands and turning more towards him. "It's only one level, but those blueprints might be inaccurate given the time that's past since the subway has been abandoned. It ..." She trailed off as a chill traveled up her spine.

"I know. It's similar, but I don't think that it's him. The subway entrance is covered by trees, and we don't even know if it's accessible to us yet. I doubt that (f/n) would travel into such a place if it only has one entry and exit point." His fingers tapped the various spots where the train would lead to other stations. "After the subway's shutdown, large gates were erected in those spots and were locked tight. Unless she has a pair of chain cutters, she won't be getting through."

"But, the metal could be rusted and break easily. Or, those gates might not even be standing." Deidre faced him fully. "It's not like she would have a map of the place either."