The Tense Dig

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Cold night air wrapped its tendrils around them, and their breath could be seen dancing through that very air. Chris leaned against Deidre for support while Ren did the same with Nick. All four of them were huddled close to keep warm. Ether, occasionally, cast an irritated glance their way since he would've preferred them a little more spread out to give more coverage to (f/n), but he didn't say anything. Instead, he focused on digging as fast as he could.

Already, there was a large pile of dirt forming by him, but she didn't relax. It was too nerve-wracking being out in the open. She preferred the interior of the car or the walls of Nick's home. They were closed in, and she could see every corner of her surroundings. Out in the dark, her past tormentor had a wide range of options for hiding himself.

Horrid images of him stepping out from behind a tree or coming up from behind a tombstone filled her head, and her stomach clenched horribly at the thought. Slightly, she rubbed her legs harder as she rested her chin on her knees. She didn't break from such imaginations until she caught the sound of something. Instantly, all of the flashlights shut off, and Ether stopped.

The creature's head turned to their left, and she just could view his eyes narrowing. A sadistic smirk greeted his lips, and his left nails dug into the shovel handle a little. Was it him?! Immediately, she followed Ether's gaze and tried to discern who or what was out there. Much to her relief, it looked to be someone with a flashlight. When they got closer, she noticed the security uniform. There was the possibility that the person was ... him since a disguise probably wouldn't be that hard to snatch for one of Ether's species.

Even if it wasn't actually him, though, there was the issue that someone still was coming in their direction. Nick and the others could try to hide, but their movement would be heard. All of them were too bulky together, especially considering Ren and Chris's crutches, to be carried by Ether and tucked away as well. Moving only would create more problems for them but staying where they were ...

Heartbeat increasing in rate in her chest, she looked up to Ether. His gaze was concentrated on the light. A quiet giggle parted from his lips. "Should I kill her?" he asked even though he knew that might cause other problems.

Almost, she shouted for him not to, but if the person was dead, they wouldn't have to worry about being discovered unless there was someone else nearby. Right as that thought crossed her mind, she shoved it away. She couldn't rely on killing people like Ether did; she didn't need to eat them, and there were other ways to solve their present predicament. In fact, there was a very easy one, and it was a whole lot less messy than Ether's idea. "Just knock her out," she whispered back. "Then, we don't have to worry about cleanup."

"Cleanup?" Ether's eyes met hers. He giggled. "I was planning on having another meal plan, but," he shrugged, "if you insist." A serious expression crossed his face, and he looked to the others. "Only a second is enough for him to attack. I don't hear, smell or see him, but get right next to (f/n)." Before any of them could nod, light shone on all of them but (f/n). "Oh?" His attention focused back on the security guard. "I guess that we can wait for her to come over." On his lips, a smirk formed. The security guard began to yell at them and ask them what they were doing. Ether ignored her words, and he gave an acknowledging nod to (f/n).