37: Hunt for the Words of Dead

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

-Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities.

Marienne's POV:

"Madeline's diary, the killer and Roseline."

A moment of silence passed between us. Neither of us uttered a word.

Lindy's eyes displayed her surprise as she stared at me unblinkingly. My expression was masked, just how I was trained to maintain that demeanor.

"Diary?" She spoke up, her voice timid.

I nodded as I examined her closely. "I believe we would find it if we look into the library hall. That is where she spent her time before...." My voice trailed off, not permitting me to utter the agonizing truth.

It was too painful for me to remember.

Enthusiasm, excitement, nervousness, melancholy- all coursed through my system at once. What was in that diary? What was in that diary that was hidden from me?

Why did Madeline have a diary in the first place?

How did Ardent know about it?

I watched Lindy as she nodded, dazedly and offered her hand to me to help me to the lift.

The manor was a three story one, the third floor being the largest and the most protected. The third floor was where I lived, along with Maddy. The bedroom I occupied, was once occupied by me and the love of my life.

It pained me knowing that I would return to a deserted room after my visit in the library.

We let ourselves into the lift and pressed the transparent icon behind us, my eyes scrutinizing the room before the shutting door hid it from us.

It wasn't long before we were taken to the first floor. It was relatively empty, considering that it was evening time.

I limped out of the lift, trying to reach the east wing as soon as possible. The east wing was where the library hall was located.

A pang of sadness hit me.

This place used to be my most favorite as a teenager. Even when I was in a relationship with Madeline, I remember us spending countless sleepless nights reading books together.

I loved reading books, I had a passion for them. Sometimes it would happen that I would read 2 or more books a day. I remember Lindy scolding me for neglecting foods and sleep just for reading books.

My feet came to a halt, stopping in front of the massive wooden gates that expanded from one end to another. A "L" was neatly carved on each of the door in cursive.