42: The Truth That Destroyed Me (Part 2)

"It was a mistake," you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you."

― David Levithan, The Lover's Dictionary

(Continuation from chapter 40: The truth of the dead.)

(I know it looks weird. When this story is completed, read it all at once again. You'll have fun)

Marienne's POV:

I turned my eyes back, once more, looking at the vast library hall.

I want to have rest.

But then again....

I will remain restless until I discover what is in this journal.

Is it a good idea to head to my bedroom for rest?

The walls seemed to call out to me, asking me to have a seat in their barren kingdom.

It was as if the solemnity was silently promising to accompany me throughout whatever happens next.

Should I head to the bedroom?

I let my eyes linger around for some moments more.

Or should I read here?

But then, what difference would it make?

"Sir?" A voice called out to me. I looked back at the hallway to see a redheaded maid standing.

"Pardon me," She bowed, paying obeisance to me. I nodded back, acknowledging her form of respect. "The dinner bell has rang sir. Are you not joining?"

I frowned, pondering for a moment. An inaudible sigh escaped me as I looked back at the library. "Have my dinner sent here. Inform Madame Cardeux that I will be spending the night here and I do not wish to be disturbed. Also tell her to send over my medicines."

"What would you like to have for dinner sir?"

Huh.

"I have more important matter to worry over. Send whatever Lindy instructs you to. Keep it simple. I am also looking forward to some caffeine induced drink. Preferably, a cold latte. I don't want to have carbohydrates."

"Yes sir." Her heels clicked away on the marble floor as she walked away.

I clutched the diary close to me, eyeing the large hall.

I had to prepare for anything.

A possible betrayal. A possible shock. A possible trauma. A possible rage. A possible breakdown.

The truth may be more horrible than I anticipated.

Stuffing my left hand in my pocket, I held the crutch with the right hand and walked inside the library.

The sound of my shoes echoes through the vast hallway as I limped toward the library hall.

The bleak environment made me feel like I was walking toward something... Really bad, a twisted fate.

Taking a deep breath and letting down the crutches, I sat at a corner with my legs folded and with the diary open.

I opened the fourth entry which was extremely short.

What is happening?

Date: I got my shit together today.

So, Marienne apologized for his actions today. He continuously begged me, asking for forgiveness and promising me that he won't do it again and he loves me and whatnot. His promise held the world, his soul and if it was possible- it could rival all the beautiful things in the universe.