83: The Story of their Forever

I am finally turning 18. Isn't that depressing?

"Loving you feels like my commitment to eternity a long time ago"

― Nicola An, The Universe at Heartbeat

December 21st, 2019.

The Night of the death.

Madeline's POV:

My heartrate was erratic.

I was panting heavily, trying to gasp in as much air I could.

It was time.

I was finally going to be free.

Just a couple of more hours and I will be-

Another shaky breath left me, slowly, mingling with the chilly winter breeze. It was freezing, but still I stood in the balcony.

Everything was planned perfectly.

Everything was going to be perfect.

My throat was becoming drier as moments passed but I didn't dare gulping. I was frozen, like a stone in winter.

From up here, I could clearly see the Venus statue, the fountain besides it- and little cupid tucked in her arms.

A foggy breath escaped me as I tried to imagine what would it be like to have a child with Ardent.

Maybe it would be a girl. Maybe she would have her father's eyes. Maybe she would have my hair.

A small smile lit up my face as I looked into the near future.

Soon.

The sound of my palpitating heart wavered away into the whisper of the freezing winter as it mingled with the calls of the gusts- creating something truly supernatural.

Despite the biting cold, my body temperature was rising.

I was agitated. I was anxious. I was feeling every singe possible thing a human could feel.

Marienne... I was leaving him.

10 years of our relationship, had been nothing but a misery. We did make some great memories, but my craving for freedom outweighed those.

The night looked more alive than anything else. The snowflakes that was beginning to fall, lighter than feathers... being carried in the gentle breeze... slowly journeying, giving into the gravity of earth.

The Venus statue looked more normal, as if a silhouette of a woman of flesh and blood. A shiver ran down me as a feeling of something ominous engulfed me.

Something told me if I looked at the statue, it would stare right back at me.

Letting out a breath, I let myself in, feeling someone glaring holes at my back. It probably was my imagination- I was going to do something I wouldn't normally dare to do after all.

Wrapping the jacket tighter, I let myself into the light of the hallway.

Small chandeliers lit up the whole narrow path, illuminating just as much.

When I proposed to Ardent that we should come up with an idea to stage my death, he protested heavily and later suggested I feed Marienne this drug that will hallucinate him to make it look more believable.

Everything should be okay.

I let out a breath as I searched my pocket for that small glass container, feeling paranoid.