Chapter 51 - Anthony

Since the deal with Fast and Go, a lot of restaurant chains have contacted us to make a software system for them.

Mr. Larson gave a great review for our software. User friendly, fast but details. This program we originally made for Copperfield, but thank God they canceled the contract even before we showed them the beta app.

So we made a few adjustments for Fast and Go and voila! It's perfect.

I'm still swamped with my work when there is a phone call on my desk "yes Sue?" I press the loudspeaker.

"Mr. Philip Copperfield in the line 1, boss" comes Sue's voice

I exhale "okay" I press the line 1 and pick up my phone. "Anthony Lockwood"

"Lockwood!" Boom Philip's voice. "How are you, son?" He says happily, no, he fakes the happiness in his voice.

"I'm good sir" I say curtly. I don't know what he is going to say. Philip Copperfield is a great businessman. But the way she caved to Emily's demand makes me doubt his personality.

"I'm so proud of you with your works at Fast and Go" well, we're not that close to make you proud of me, sir

"Thank you, sir" I say instead.

"But I wonder whether that product should be mine," he says slowly. I know this will come.

"Apparently no sir. We already made the software based for restaurants before we approached Copperfield. The planning was to customize our software per your request"

"Ah I see. And what about Copperfield's software?" He asks me. I blink. "Excuse me?"

He clears his throat "can we continue it?"

"Sorry, Mr. Copperfield. Last time I checked, you are the one who canceled the project"

"I'm not" he says fast

"Sorry?"

"It um... it was Emily's decision" he says. Seriously? You think I'm going to believe that Emily can do what she wants without your blessing? The Copperfield would fall freely if you let her make a decision.

I wait for him to say other words. I still remember Amy's sad face after she talked with the venomous Emily.

Someone knocks the door and opens it. Amy walks in with a big smile on her lips. She is wearing the pearl necklace everyday nowadays. I smile and gesture her to sit on my lap. She smiles and comes to sit on my lap, playing with my tie. I kiss her head.

We are planning to go to the cinema after work. Since I swamped with my work, so Amy came here to save time.

"Look, Lockwood. I always like you. You are a genius. Um... about the project can we continue it? Let's rewind before Emily canceled the project. Can we?"

"No" I say. It's easy for him to say that. Amy was the one suffering from his daughter's attitude.

"What?" Philip asks, surprised

Amy's eyes widened and shakes her head. I raise my eyebrows in question. She frowns.

I shake my head. Amy nods vigorously. I exhale. "Philip I'm sorry I have an important call I need to take. Can I call you in 10 mins"

"Sure Lockwood. Think about it again okay"

"Sure" I say and end the phone. I look at Amy. She still sits on my lap.

"Why'd you have to reject Copperfield?" Amy asks.

"Because they made you upset"

"What kind of reason is that?" She stands up, pissed with me.