Chapter 66 - Anthony

I pushed her too far. Goddamn it!

Day 3 after Amy left my house, and she went silent even to Amanda.

Day 9 after I promised Madeline's baby that I will make his aunt Amy back to my life.

Day 1 I came back to my office and for 4 hours I did nothing except staring at my desk.

I take the photo frame. It's Amy from 6 years ago, in Miami Beach. She looks so happy in this picture. "Why won't you accept me?" I ask the picture. I exhale and put it back. I play with the ring on my necklace. The ring that belongs to Amy. The engagement ring I bought 2 months ago. I asked the jewellery designer to design a simple, elegant yet classy ring for Amy. Because it's her in my eyes. So they choose the diamond, with a round cut. The only not simple from this ring is the diamond is 5 carat. I want it to be 10 but the designer reminded me about 'simple, elegant, classy' 10 carat is far from simple.

Ping

I look at my phone

Amy: Can we have dinner at your place tonight?

I blink and look at it again. It's Amy and she texted me to meet up. I wipe my eyes to make sure it's not my imagination. Yes it's not. The text is still there.

Tony: okay. You want me to pick you up?

Amy: you don't have to. I will be there at 6.30 pm. Is that okay?

Tony: ok. see you?

Amy: huh... what with the question mark? See you Tony

Tony: See you Amy

I grin so widely and suddenly I stop. There is a possibility that this is a goodbye.

No it's not. If it's a goodbye she doesn't have to come.

But, she must be think at least I deserved face to face goodbye.

Shut up! Don't make any assumption!

I inhale deeply. Okay I just need to distract myself until 6.30 pm. I look at the time. 12.30 pm. 6 hours to go. I exhale.

***

I'm pacing in my house. I look at my phone.. 6.28 pm. Why she hasn't text me anything. Anything just to make me feel calm. By the rate of my pacing now, there is a big possibility the floor hole up.

Ding

I look up, the elevator open. Amy emerges and looks at me.

She is wearing... God I know this dress. White long sleeves dress with red belt. I bought for her back then. I swallow. is this a goodbye symbol? no no, it's a good symbol for sure.

I inhale deeply.

"Hi Tony" she smiles a bit.

"Hi" I croak. God, she looks even prettier, with her minimal make up and her hair loose at her back. How can I live without her?

I walk in front of her to the living room. What should I do if she said we are done? What if--

"Tony, can we talk?" I look at her. I just realized she already stopped in the middle of the living room, while I didn't realize I walked near the veranda.

"Yeah... no..." I rub my face. She comes closer to me.

"I want to say that you were right, Tony"

"What?"

"I'm a coward. I'm afraid that if I test and the result is affected. I'm afraid that I will become a burden to everyone around me, especially you."