~Chapter Thirty One~

When Maddy arrived back at the Salvatore house she found Stefan and Elena sitting in the living room

When Maddy arrived back at the Salvatore house she found Stefan and Elena sitting in the living room. The atmosphere was sad, a gloomy feeling looming over the room.

"What the hells the matter with you guys?" Maddy questions, flopping down on the couch beside a solemn-looking Elena.

"Isobel died." Elena sighs.

"Oh, bummer. Guess I missed a few things huh?" Maddy states.

"Is that Isobel's?" Stefan questions, glancing at the necklace in Elena's hands.

"I never thought I would feel bad about her being dead, and yet..."

"She was your mother." Stefan consoles.

"Why did they let me go?" Elena furrows her brows.

Maddy sat with her legs crossed, trying her hardest not to roll her eyes at the whole doppelgänger discussion again. Her humanity was off, but she still had respect.

"Well, anything John told Isobel, we have to assume that Klaus knows, right? So he knows that you're not gonna turn yourself into a vampire. He knows that you have us keeping you safe."

"He knows I'm not gonna run and he knows Maddy isn't leaving Mystic Falls."

"Says who?" Madison scoffs.

"Are you planning on leaving anytime soon, Maddy?" Elena questions, turning to face the vampire.

"No, but I'll leave this town whenever I damn well please and no vampire with a name as dumb as Klaus is gonna stop me." She states, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Which is why we need to take some precautions, 'cause we got played, all of us," Damon says.

"Not me," Maddy mumbles as Damon sets some papers in Elena's lap.

"What's this?"

"It's the deed to our house. It's in Zach's name. As soon as you sign it, it'll be in your name." Stefan explains.

"You're giving me your house?" Elena questions in disbelief.

"Isobel had the right idea with the safe house. You'll just stay here till it's all over. That way, you can control who gets invited and who doesn't. You and Maddy will be safe here."

"I'm safe anywhere I go. I'm not the one who needs to be sacrificed." Maddy reminds.

"No, but you're a weapon that Klaus wants to use. We can't have you killing people for his benefit." Damon says, using his finger to tap her nose.