~Chapter Four~

"Do you see her?" Damon asks, looking around the Lockwood mansion's yard

"Nope. You sure you guys can do this?" Stefan asks looking at his brother, then at Madison who stood in between the two of them.

"Who are you talking to?" The older Salvatore scoffs.

"Oh, I had the chance to kill her and I hesitated."

"Well that is the fork in the road between you and me my friend. I don't hesitate. Do you hesitate?" Damon asks, looking at Madison.

She shakes her head. "Hesitation leads to death Stefan."

"You spent 145 years loving her," Stefan says, staring at his brother then looking down at Madison. "And you spent centuries training her and teaching her be a vampire, it could happen." He shrugs.

"We won't hesitate." Damon and Maddy speak in sync.

"Ok." His brother says.

"Well, this is boring. So I'm gonna go mingle." Madison smiles, walking away from the two Salvatores.

Stefan grabs onto her small wrist. "Be careful Mads. We don't want Katherine seeing you before the plan starts."

"No problem." She smiles, sending the brothers a wink before sauntering off.

Damon and Stefan stare at the strawberry blonde longingly. "You should seriously start treating her better. It takes one hell of a good person to come back to the place that broke them just to help someone they've never even met."

Stefan turns to face his brother, who's eyes were still on Madison's retreating figure. "You're not still in love with her are you?"

He sighs, glancing over at Stefan. "That's none of your business." Damon smirks.

"It's not gonna happen. Not again... not after what we did." Stefan says, solemnly looking down at his feet.

"Are you saying that because you mean it or because you still love her too?" Damon asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I love Elena."

"Right, you sending letters to Madison for years upon years tells me differently." Damon sighs, patting Stefan on the shoulder and walking away.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I put the body in the trunk for now." Stefan says as Madison enters the empty room that he and Damon were standing in.