~Chapter Thirty Four~

Elena's footsteps were heard entering the Lockwood mansion, causing Maddy to remove her head from Elijah's shoulder and take a seat on the couch before the doppelgänger saw them

"Welcome back." Elijah greets, standing by the fireplace.

"Tell me. What is Klaus's curse?" Elena questions, taking off her jacket.

"Please." He says, gesturing for her to sit down. "My family was quite close, but Klaus and my father did not get on too well. When we became vampires, we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son. My mother had been unfaithful many years before." He starts, sitting next to her, Maddy on the right of him. "This was her darkest secret. Klaus is from a different bloodline. Of course, when my father discovered this, he hunted down and he killed my mother's lover and his entire family. Not realizing, of course, that he was igniting a war between species that rages until this day."

"A war between the species?" Elena questions.

"Sounds like it." Maddy sighs, leaning back and propping her legs up in Elijah's lap, earning a confused look from Elena.

"The vampires...and the werewolves," Elijah states, his hand gently rubbing up and down Maddy's leg.

"So Klaus's real father was from a werewolf bloodline? What does that make Klaus? A werewolf? Or a vampire?" Elena asks, ignoring the weird exchange between the two vampires.

"He's both. A hybrid would be deadlier than any werewolf or vampire. Nature would not stand for such an imbalance of power. Therefore the witches, the servants of nature, saw to it that my brother's werewolf side would become dormant."

"So that's the curse he's so determined to break?" Maddy speaks.

"He wants to trigger that part of him that's a werewolf. If allowed, Klaus would sire his own bloodline. He'd build his own race. Endangering not just vampires, but everyone." He answers.

"But you helped him." Elena reminds.

"I helped him because I loved him. That's changed, now he must die." Elijah states.

"We have the dagger now. We can stop him." Elena says.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure if it was that easy he would have done it already." Maddy chimes, giving Elijah a questioning look to see if she was right.

"When a werewolf is wounded by silver, it heals. An Original can't be killed by anything but white oak ash on a silver dagger. So you see the conundrum. The dagger does not work." He explains.