~Chapter Seventy~

One of the things Maddy hated most in the world was not knowing what was going on

One of the things Maddy hated most in the world was not knowing what was going on. She hated secrets and she hated being left out of the loop. Not being aware of what was going on around you made you vulnerable.

The last time Madison Sinclair was vulnerable was when she was sitting at the dinner table with her family and vampires attacked them. That night played in her head as she marched into Klaus's mansion. As she walked in she could see workers scattered through out the rooms. Klaus hadn't mentioned anything about having construction work done on a new home. Then again, it seemed like he hadn't mentioned a lot of things to her.

"Klaus!" She shouted, her voice echoing off the walls of the room.

"Compel the men to open up this wall. We need sun. I want a fortress not a dungeon." The Original spoke to a woman as he approached her. "I don't recall inviting you here."

"Uh don't be fucking rude." She scoffs.

"What do want, Madison? Come to shoot me down again?" He questions, crossing his arms and staring down at the girl.

"I didn't shoot you down, Nik." She sighs, shaking her head.

"Oh I'm sorry, Love, what do you call it?"

"I call it me not being ready yet!" She yells. "Don't you think it's a little too fast? I mean things are going too well between us. Something bad is gonna happen. There's always ways bumps in the road how comes there hasn't been any in ours?"

"There has been, Madison!" Klaus shouts in frustration. "You just, you just don't remember."

"What are you talking about?"

In that moment, Klaus wanted nothing more than to compel her to remember everything. Her not knowing what they had gone through was taking a toll on their relationship. That made him angry. He worked too hard to get this far with her.

But he knew that if he did that, then she would also be forced to remember all the hurt she went through. All the heartbreak, betrayal, and anger would resurface again. He just wanted her to be happy and if he made her remember everyone and everything, she wouldn't be.

"Nothing, Madison." He sighs, shaking his head.

"I'm gonna ask you something and I'm really hoping you give me the answer I wanna hear." She states. "Did you compel Jeremy to take his ring off and stand in front of a speeding car?"

Klaus takes a moment before he answers. On one hand, he didn't wanna lie to her. That would just make her angry. On the other hand, telling her the truth would make her angry too.