~Chapter Twelve~

Elena, Caroline, and Maddy made their way through the woods, the doppelgänger carrying a bag over her shoulder

Elena, Caroline, and Maddy made their way through the woods, the doppelgänger carrying a bag over her shoulder. Caroline had been a little skeptical when Elena had told her she decided to bring Madison to the tomb and talk to Katherine. But after realizing her best friend actually trusted the vampire, she became more open and comfortable with the idea of being around her.

Madison on the other hand was completely opposed to letting Elena talk to Katherine. She and Stefan were already at each other's throats for some reason, she couldn't imagine how pissed he would be if he found out what they were doing, not that she really cared though. She also knew that Katherine would be telling the two of them something they didn't wanna hear, considering Elena was already kind of on edge because of Rose, she knew after this talk her nerves would be all over the place.

But, Maddy knew that Elena was capable of making her own decisions. She wouldn't want someone treating her like a kid and telling her what she could and couldn't do, so she wasn't about to do that to Elena. All she could do was express how she felt about the situation and respect the girl's decision. And that's exactly what she was doing.

"Tell everyone I wasn't feeling well and I went home from school," Elena tells Caroline.

"I can't believe I'm agreeing to this. I'm a terrible liar." The blonde complains.

"And keep Stefan busy. I don't want him to know what I'm up to and I definitely don't want him to know that I'm doing it with Maddy."

"I'm even worse at duplicity and you know this." She sighs.

"You managed to keep me occupied when Katherine paid Stefan a visit." Elena reminds.

"Yeah, because she threatened me."

"Would it help if I threatened you, Caroline?" Maddy asks, glancing over at her.

"I'm not saying that you should use that as a tactic," She says, shaking her head. "It's... Stefan's gonna see right through me."

"Caroline, as my friend, do you promise or not?" Elena questions.

"You had to break out the girlfriend code." Caroline sighs. "Okay. I promise."

"Ok." Elena nods.

"Why don't you want Stefan to know?"

"Because he would never be okay with me doing this, and he's already being an ass to Maddy, I don't need him getting mad at her for something I chose to do." She explains, as the three of them go under the church ruins and reach the tomb's entrance.