~Chapter Seventy Six~

Caroline stood outside the mansion that Klaus had still been renovating

Caroline stood outside the mansion that Klaus had still been renovating. She held Maddy's ashes close to her chest as she knocked on the door. After a lot of arguing and fighting, most of them decided that it was best for Klaus to keep Maddy's ashes. The only ones opposed to the idea had been Elena and Damon. Which Caroline found amusing considering Maddy wasn't even on good terms with them when she died.

The blonde vampire couldn't sit around and listen to her two best friends cry any longer. So, she volunteered to be the one to take the ashes to Klaus and break the news to him. Did she shed quite a few tears on her way to the mansion? Yes, absolutely.

When the door swung open she was met with Klaus's hopeful eyes. The hope quickly faded when he saw that it was just her.

"What can I do for you, Caroline?" He huffs leaning against the door frame.

She took a deep breath as she quickly rethinks her decision. Did she really wanna be the one to tell Klaus that they didn't find Maddy quick enough? What if he lashed out and hurt her or even worse, killed her? Thankfully, she didn't have to say the words. Once Klaus's gaze fell on the jar of ashes, she knew why she was there.

"I'm sorry, Klaus." She apologizes sympathetically. "We couldn't stop her."

His nostrils flare in anger as he nods his head, his eyes flashing to the jar in her hands. " Are those her ashes?"

"Mhmm, with a lot of debate we decided you should have them." She explains, handing them out for him to grab.

"You guys put them in a jar?" He questions in disgust as he snatches the ashes from her.

"Yeah, Stef- I mean it was the first thing we could find." She nods, stopping herself from mentioning that Stefan was the last one with Maddy.

"A queen's ashes don't belong in some bloody jar." He fumes before slamming the door shut in her face.

Caroline raises her hand to knock again but decides against it. She knew he needed some alone time to grieve, they all did. They had all just lost someone very important to them...again.

On the other side of the door, Klaus stood with Maddy's ashes in his hands. With a huff, he walked further into the house shouting at the workers and some of his hybrids that were lingering.

"Everyone get out!" He demands, causing them to immediately stop what they were doing and shuffle out of the house.

Now, he could be alone. He sat on one of the couches, placing the jar in front of him on the table. He stared at it for a few moments before he broke down. Tears fell from his eyes as he sobbed quietly. The woman he was in love with was gone. He didn't get to say goodbye and there was nothing he could do about it.