28. SHOOT! SHE KNEW FOR SURE

"Hey Mia, has Mr. Jones come back to work as yet?" I asked.

I spent three nights and four days in total in Paris before leaving Kylie behind to wrap up with her work and I returned home to New York city.

"Not yet. He called in sick two days ago." Mia informed me.

Disappointment ran through very cell of me. I really wanted to see him. I missed Jordan terribly and the last time I met him, things were clearly not okay between the two of us, and I wanted to clear it up as soon as possible.

"Oh okay. Thank you Mia." I said before walking into my room. I sensed a 'but' coming but I just walked off dejected. I groaned in frustration at the amount of pending work lying in piles on my table.

"I thought all the groaning and moaning occurs in the bedroom." a voice startled me.

I spun around in surprise. "Jackson! You startled me!" I said taking in calming breaths. Now I understood why Mia's sentence felt incomplete.

He came closer to me and enveloped me into his arms, "Hi." Jackson whispered softly.

Suddenly, everything felt wrong, I began disliking the closeness between us. I leaned behind in order to get out of his arms.

"How have you been?" I asked breaking the hug and sitting down at the desk.

"I should be the one asking you that. What happened? Why Paris all of a sudden?" he quizzed with a perplex look on his face.

"I missed Kylie a lot." I shrugged causally while pretending to read a file as Jackson sat down across the desk in front of me.

"So what were the reasons you had to run away from New York?" he asked raising an eyebrow.

"I didn't run away!" I threw my hands up in frustration. "I just needed a break from this chaotic lifestyle here in New York." I sighed.

"So you are okay now?" Jackson asked apprehensively.

"Yes." I lied.

Of course I wasn't okay! I had to break up with the man I wanted for so long and I had to come clean with Jordan who was clearly avoiding me. Urgh! How am I gonna do all of this!

"Okay. Do you wanna join me for lunch?" he asked. "I have a light afternoon I don't mind ordering in."

"Umm.. actually, I umm I really need to get my work done..." I tried upcoming up with some lame excuse.

"Lexi are you..." Jackson began when there was a knock at the door. Mia poked her head in.

"Ms. Hunt, your meeting with a potential client is gonna start in the next five minutes." She spoke.

"Oh yes of course! I'll be right along." I told her before getting up from my seat.

"I'm so sorry. Rain check?" I was secretly so, so glad Mia interrupted us. I seriously felt like jumping up and hugging Mia. She was a lifesaver.

"Yeah. I should be heading back to work anyways." Jackson eyed me suspiciously before getting up and walking off. He sensed something was up... but I guess my poker face didn't give much away.

After work, I decided to check up on Jordan, so I drove to his apartment. He wasn't answering any of my texts, so it was me even more worried. I had picked up some soup from this Chinese place around the corner and headed upstairs.

"Lexi!" he was surprised to find me at the door. "Wh-what are you doing here?"

"Well, you took a sick leave, and you weren't responding to any of my texts, so I got worried and came over." I shrugged before walking inside without bothering to ask him.