32. HOPE

STILL ETHAN'S POV

"Charge to 200!" someone got a defibrillator ready.

"Sir! Step back!" a voiced pulled me behind.

"CLEAR!" Lexi's chest bounced off the gurney. Still no response.

"Charge to 250!"

"CLEAR!"

She heaved off the gurney again, but no response.

A flat line showed up on the ECG machine as a straight beep echoed through the area......

"I'm sorry..."

Everything felt blurry as tears clouded my eyes.

"LEXI!" I screamed in pain! "DON'T GO! PLEASE! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!"

"LEXI! PLEASE! COME BACK!"

A faint beeping sound caught my attention. I looked up at the monitor.

"We have a pulse!" I heard a voice.

Joy radiated through every cell of my body. That one tiny bleep became a huge ray of hope.

"Lets' get her back to the hospital." They hoisted Lexi up and loaded her into the ambulance. I had to ride with them, especially since I had to get my injuries checked out as well.

I knew Lexi wasn't out of danger yet. But at least she was still alive. That was what mattered. It is more than a hue relief that her pulse was detected again. And frankly, it was a miracle. Even the medics said so.

"Sir?" a voiced brought me out of my thoughts. "Is there someone you'd like me to call?"

"Yes. My brother. He's my emergency contact." I told him handing over my phone.

"What about someone for her?"

"It's still my brother." I gritted my teeth. The truth was yet to be unravelled in front of Jackson. And I had to bell the cat.

We reached the ER. A nurse brought a wheelchair for me which I gladly plopped down onto. "My friend. She was brought in with me. Lexi Hunt. She needs urgent attention." I told her.

"Don't worry, someone will check her right-away." The nurse told me kindly. "She's in good hands sir."

I sighed as I was wheeled towards an empty bed. "Ortho will come to you."

I had to get a couple of x-rays done, and then my fractured arm was plastered up and my cuts and scrapes were cleaned off with anti-septic liquid. Once all my injuries were treated I headed over to trauma room one where Lexi was being treated.

"I need neuro in her stat!" the trauma doctor in-charge instructed her fellow workers. I couldn't step inside, but within a few minutes the very same doctor came up and spoke to me.

"Are you here with her?" she asked.

"Yes. Ethan Avery." I told her.

"Mr. Avery, I'm doctor Reed. Ms. Hunt's condition is extremely critical and unstable. There's a lot of internal bleeding. We need to rush her in for surgery immediately. I'll update you as soon as we're done." She told me.

"Please, do anything you have to, but save her please." I begged.

"I'll try my best." She rubbed my arm comfortingly before walking off. "Book and OR. We're on our way." I heard her instruct another nurse.

I sat down in the waiting area. Seconds felt like minutes, and minutes felt like hours. Time was creeping by slower than a sloth and it was painful. Each time a doctor headed over I prayed it was to update me about Lexi's condition.