34. HAVE FAITH

ETHAN'S POV

DAY ONE AFTER THE ACCIDENT

"Hey, I'm gonna get some coffee, okay?" I told Jackson.

We decided to stay alternates days with Lexi. Neither of us wanted to leave her alone, but we had to get our own stuff done. Jackson couldn't take out leaves from work because he had a lot of pending cases, so he decided to work from the hospital on the days he was staying with Lexi.

"Jackson? Did you hear me?" I asked him.

"Huh?" he looked up from the laptop screen.

"I'm gonna get some coffee for us." I told him again.

"Yes please. Black, with no sugar." Jackson instructed me.

I nodded before walking to the hospital cafeteria. I waited at one of the tables for my order. I had scored a job at a huge publishing house, they allowed me to take my manuscripts with me. So I did all my editing work at the hospital and went every other day back to work to submit them.

I got my coffees and headed back to the room.

"Ethan?" I heard a familiar voice call out. I turned around.

"Kylie! You made it." she gave me a quick hug. Over the years, I spent quiet sometime hanging out with both Kylie and Lexi, so the two of us were on fairly good terms. But when she left for Paris, our connection weakened.

But now that she was here, it felt like old days. "Of course I had to come." She told me. "How is she?" Kylie asked.

"Still the same." I shrugged.

"And her mom?"

"Still at some retreat and blissfully unaware about Lexi's condition." I shrugged.

"That woman just won't change." Kylie sighed before walking with me to Lexi's room. Tears stained her cheeks as she saw Lexi laid up in bed. She rushed to her side.

Kylie gently fondled her best friend's bandaged head, clearly the hair from her face. "You're gonna be fine Hunt." She kissed Lee's forehead softly. She eyed Jackson before backing up and standing next to me.

I handed Jackson's coffee to him.

"Ethan can I talk to you for a second?" Kylie asked.

"Sure." I wondered what did she wanna talk about. We stepped out and decided to head to the small garden behind the hospital's main building.

We sat down next to each other on one of the park benches. "So, what's up?" I asked.

"The night before the accident, Lexi had texted me saying that she'll be telling you the entire truth about herself." Kylie spoke.

"She did. And yesterday, we were actually on our way, well she was, to break up with Jackson. I was going with her for support. She wanted to come clean and tell Jackson that she loves Jordan and wants them to break up." I began.

"But then the accident took place and Jackson still doesn't know the truth." I added with a sigh. "She also told me one more thing. Lee said she never told this to anyone else before, so I'm guessing you might not know."

"Well? What is it?" Kylie's curiosity perked.

"Lee had a miscarriage." I whispered.

"What!" She gasped.

I told her all that Lee had told me, and at the end, the two of us were floating in tears. The waterworks never stopped. Just never. The pain just worsened, and the worries just increased by the day.