16: Poetry and Purpose

sorry this took forever to write!!! i got a little experimental with my writing and am kinda excited about it. anyway, i hope you guys like it! i'll try to post more frequently again!

"Mom, will you read me another one?"

I felt the soft vibrations in her chest as she laughed, "just one more, y/n."

Sick on my journey,
only my dreams wander
this desolate field.

Her voice as calming and smooth and simple as the haiku she recited.

"What does it mean?"

"Well, Y/n, it is a farewell poem. For the weary traveller, obsessed with their journey, but forced to say goodbye."

"Why would they be forced?"

She sighed, "Sometimes life just takes an unexpected route."

I snuggled closer to my mom, "I don't want to have to say goodbye momma."

"Oh, Y/n," she chuckled before she gave me a kiss. "You won't have to say goodbye anytime soon. I promise."

•••••

"Y/n," Gakuganji grumbled snapping me back to reality. "Why do you never listen?"

"Maybe you should be more interesting."

"We don't have to tell you any of this! We didn't have to bring you in! Show your gratitude!!"

I laughed, "Gratitude? Don't you realize, old man, you found me by pure chance."

My mother's voice repeating in my head...

Clouds are gathering
high above the mountains
making plans for us all.

"Chance is futile," Mei smirked. Satoru had been dead silence since they started their storytelling.

To be honest, I wasn't very intrigued by any of this. Except for one thing...

"Why have I never heard of the Sato clan?"

Gakuganji answered, "Because they're all dead."

"Well, it seems like we missed one," Mei smirked. "In all fairness, we didn't know your parents had a child."

Every part of my body tensed as she spoke. We hadn't made it to that part of the story yet, and I wasn't at all looking forward to it.

I didn't think I'd be able to keep calm.

I write, erase, rewrite
erase again, and then
a poppy blooms

I clenched my jaw, "I understand they're dead. I'm asking why haven't I heard of them before now."

"Y/n, do you know what happens to cursed users?" Gakuganji asked me.

I shrugged, "Capture, exile, kill. I'm guessing whatever has to be done."

"Exactly. So we did what had to be done with the Sato clan. Your clan."