41: The Daughter

Sukuna showed me a stone shrine.

A shrine found within the temple I created in my domain expansion. I walked forward, through a crowd of kneeling men and women, all facing the front of the decorative stonework.

Sukuna stood there, next to two of my ancestors, a man and woman. The man was tall and broad with black hair pulled out of his face as it drifted towards the middle of his back.

The woman, she was radiant. A fiery glow seemed to shine from her like a hallowed aura.

Her eyes matched the golden, honey color of my own. Her hair the same shade of grey as it flowed freely.

Her smile curled up in a soft and soothing way as she stood tall, her height matching that of her two male counterparts.

I realized everyone in the crowd was watching her. Even though Sukuna and the man were the ones conducting whatever gathering this was, she was all anyone could stare at. Myself included.

I walked closer to the shrine the 3 leaders stood in front of, wanting to know who or what was revered so fully by my clan in their early years.

My fingers traced across the cold, engraved stone as I read the inscription.

It told of a story...

Izanami, the great creator who rules over Yomi, died giving birth to Kagutsuchi, the incarnation of fire.

Sato's are a direct decedent of this fire deity.

"Chiyoko, my dear," the beautiful name rolled off of Sukuna's tongue. "How would you like to proceed?"

My eyes snapped back into focus as I stared at Sukuna who was now pulling away from the kiss. His face so much softer than I had ever seen it previously.

"What was that?" I asked barely above a whisper.

He smiled, a soft almost genuine smile, "You look like her, don't you?"

I shook my head in confusion, trying to piece together what had happened as he replaced my mask. The memory was so simple, but the emotion it carried with it reflected almost a sacred reverence.

"Who is she?"

"Chiyoko Sato. Her power and beauty resembles your own. When she was born, your clan leaders revered her as a goddess, a daughter of Kagutsuchi."

"So you think I'm her?" I asked him confused. "Like a reincarnation?"

"Not necessarily. I do, however, think you are also a daughter of Kagutsuchi, sent here to restore the Sato clan to its original glory. A clan of sorcerers far more powerful and refined than any of the others."

"Sukuna, as beautiful as that is, I'm not sure I believe any of it. And I'm not sure how it helps me with rescuing Satoru."

He sighed, "It's not supposed to help you rescue him. It's supposed to help you forget about him, and focus on your actual purpose."

"Restoring the Sato clan?"

"Exactly."

He must be out of his damn mind. There was no way I could ever forget Satoru. Even if I did have some godly purpose...

I stood there silently as bits and pieces of the memory still flickered inside my mind, all of it infused with Sukuna's emotions since he's the one who shared it with me.

I looked up at his eyes that were still piercing dangerously into mine, "You loved her, didn't you?"

I watched as his whole body tensed up. His face rendered emotionless, "I did."