17: Encounters

**manga spoilers— kinda? idk. kinda making up my own shit too tbh but definitely borrowing and adding stuff in from the manga**

The bells on the door rang as I walked in, the sweet smell of coffee filling the air.

I could never get enough of this place.

I smiled at the young barista, she looked the same age as my first years, "Hi, I'll take an iced matcha."

"Mm, and a black coffee please," a man appeared next to me holding out his card. "I'll pay for these."

I tilted down my sunglasses to look at him, feeling pretty pissed and unamused today.

"I can pay for myself," I growled as I stared him down. His black eyes pierced into me, making my skin crawl.

"I'm sure you can, but I couldn't resist. Taking care of a beautiful woman like yourself, what a treat."

I rolled my eyes and walked off, feeling his presence following swiftly behind. He sat across from me at a small table and crossed his legs, staring at me with a smug grin.

We sat there silently until the server brought us our drinks, neither one of us breaking our gaze.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but this guy was scary as hell, and I wasn't about to show him any weakness.

"You intrigue me," he smirked as he took a sip of his drink.

I leaned my arms on the table, holding my head in my hands, "Do I know you?"

He chuckled, "I don't believe so, but perhaps. What's your name?"

I sat back as I thought it over. I had thought about this moment nonstop... Meeting someone for the first time after learning about my true identity.

"Sato," I introduced myself.

His cold eyes began to glimmer, a smile curling up on his lips, "Really?" He leaned in, "Family name?"

"Mm."

"I knew some Sato's. I wonder if there's any relations."

"I doubt it," I huffed. "It's a common name."

"May I know your first name?"

I glanced up at him from over the top of my cup, taking my first sip, "Y/n."

"A beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

"Your turn," I mumbled.

"Are you sure you want to know?"

My heart raced as he hissed those words, sending shivers down my spine. The aura oozing off him was unlike anything I had ever experienced... and honestly, I was terrified of him.

He laughed, "Geto. Maybe you've heard of me?"

Every part of me froze. It felt like my heart stopped. My muscles tensed as I held my breath, afraid he would strike me down with a single blow if I dared to move.

I had never seen him before, only heard the name and the stories... Satoru's best friend. The one he had cried and mourned for.

The most famous curse-user of our time. Maybe ever.

I glanced around the small cafe, calculating the amount of people who were here. How many lives would be loss if I let this get out of control.

I was in a chess match now— a game where I wasn't the one controlling the rules. We'd been playing all along, and I was already behind.