45: Changes

**Satoru POV**

I took my time as I walked across the plush, summer grass of the cemetery.

I couldn't believe how long it had been since I was last here. It was July now, and it had been a year and 8 months since the incident.

Everyone said it would get easier to come visit the gravesite, but every time I came, it hurt just as much as before. The wound of that dark night hadn't healed in the slightest.

I stood before the marble gravestone, hot tears already taunting me. Even though it was a beautiful summer day, a bright blue sky and shining sun above me, my insides felt cold and hollow.

I crouched down in front of the grave, looking around at the trees and birds surrounding me, trying desperately to avoid looking at the engraved name and message.

Whenever I came there were always fresh flowers already here. At least that was one positive thing...

I sighed softly, "I'm sorry it's been so long since I last visited... I know it's selfish of me. It just still hurts so much."

"A lot has changed since the last time I was here."

I couldn't help but smile a bit as I thought it all over, "Yuuji is doing well. Him and Sukuna have some weird understanding, maybe a borderline friendship."

"I don't know whether you'd disapprove or be thrilled," I laughed a bit.

"Megumi is the new Zenin clan leader. He's been making some amazing changes. Maki and Mai have both finally been accepted fully because of him."

"Maki's wounds healed just fine. Can you believe they're all grade 1 sorcerers now? We've never had students rise so quickly through the ranks..."

"And Yuuji's weird brother, I know you didn't really get the chance to know him, Choso Kamo, he's the new Kamo clan leader."

"It's funny really, but after everything that happened, everyone decided that some major changes needed to be made. And he was actually the most level-headed and accepting of the bunch."

"And the Inuzamki clan was added to the council. Obviously. It was long overdo. Toge is actually leading that clan."

"Almost all of the higher ups have been overthrown and replaced. I can barely even recognize it sometimes. I think you'd be really proud."

I finally looked at the gravestone, letting the tears fall from my eyes. It all felt so overwhelming. So surreal.

"I took my place as the head of the Gojo clan. I ran from it for awhile. I just never felt deserving... Everything that happened that night was because of me."

"If I would've just accepted help, if I wouldn't have tried doing everything on my own, you'd still be here."

"I'm so sorry," I mumbled out as I took of my black glasses and wiped the tears off my face. "I'm really sorry."

I tried to regain some of my composure as I realized they were approaching me. I heard them before I saw them, the muffled cries of a small infant floating through the open air.

"I'm at least trying to move on," I whispered out. "I didn't know how absolutely heart wrenching it would be, but it's not impossible."

"I'll try to visit more often, and I promise I'll keep
trying to change things," was the last thing I said before standing back up, watching them reach my side.

"So, how are you?" she asked as she kissed my cheek gently.

I laughed a little bit as I sniffled and wiped my tears one more time, "You're right, it was a little healing."