63- Dreams End

Written: 3/23/21

Published: 5/11/21

(I can't thank you guys enough for all the views and comments. I'm so lucky and glad to have such supportive and loving readers!!)

People were inside the coronation hall, awaiting for the ceremony to begin. They were all in their formal military uniforms, conversing with whoever they pleased. Afternoon light shone through the large glass windows. The pillars inside the room casting long shadows. The 104th were discussing trivial things as their two captains eavesdropped while waiting.

"Hey!" A voice called. "Heroes of the walls." Everyone turned to see Hitch Dreyse.

"Hitch. You came."

"I'm here to see all of you get your medals. I did play a big role in this revolution, you know."

"Oh." Jean replied. Awkward silence enveloped everyone. Jean shuffled and then looked Hitch straight into the eyes. "Marlo was brave until the end."

Hitch's eyes trailed downcast. "Yeah."

"Right, Floch?" Jean said. "Tell her."

"...Yeah." Floch unconvincingly agreed. "Marlo Freudenberg was a fresh emergency recruit, just like me. But regardless, he did a good job unifying us all. It seemed hopeless out there. The survey corps was on the verge of being wiped out. Even when we were all terrified to the point of being useless, he was the one guy who never stopped encouraging the rest."

"Huh..." Hitch said. This was the first time hearing any of the information. After all, all of the other recruits were dead. Floch was the only one who actually knew the details of what happened on the suicidal charge front.

"He was an amazing guy." Floch added.

"I know." Hitch agreed. "I think that's why he never listened to a word I said."

Floch watched her in pity. "But at the very end... He must've regretted ever going there."

Hitch gasped. She turned away to hide her face. "Thanks... I'll be the one laughing if any of you mess up at the ceremony." Y/n eyed the girl as she walked away. Hitch wiped her face.

"Hey!" Jean scolded. "Why did you go and say that?"

"Well..." Floch replied. He looked Jean in the eyes. Rebellion clear in his eyes. "Someone has to tell the truth, right?" He looked Armin straight in the eyes.

"I know..." The blond started. "...That you desperately wanted to revive Commander Erwin."

"That's right." The red snow poff hair guy confirmed. "I thought the commander was the right choice, not you. But I wasn't the only one... It's all of us. It's what everyone thought reading the report. They wondered why is wasn't Erwin."

"What do you know about Armin?" Eren asked. "C'mon, tell me."

Y/n sighed. Whether Floch is Armin's best friend or sworn enemy... That has nothing to do with it. In battle..... One should really follow the logic and not emotions. But... I do still ponder if Levi and I's choice was the right one. You never can know until you do it. Then, you have to push through your regrets. Sigh. I say that, but I'm still worried that selecting Armin wasn't the best outcome...

"I don't know anything." Floch admitted. "I'm not his childhood friend. I'm not his friend at all... But I do know why Armin was picked. Because you two... and the Captains... allowed your personal feelings to get the better of you, took the injection for yourselves, and made an irrational decision. In other words, you couldn't throw away what was important to you, right?"